Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stuff

What glorious weather we are having these days. Yesterday Peter and I went out on the boat and trolled around the shore's edge just checking things out. He has designed and landscaped many of the grand homes, and he always likes to go by and see how things are growing and I like to take pictures.

LF project by you.
This is a house that Peter landscaped this spring on the lake.

As we scooted into a cove, I noticed a house that I'd never noticed before. And I thought, how can it be, 20 years into this boating around the lake thing we do, that I could have missed this house? It was huge, and not a new one -- old and understated. And I realized that it is because of this -- the constant discovery (or even re-discovery) that makes these relaxed roams about the lake enjoyable. I could do it all day.

Yesterday was the day to do it though, because today and tomorrow it will be crazy -- great weather and the holiday will bring boats to the lake in droves and instead of a calm, glass-like boat ride, we would get tossed about in boat chop and the constant need to avoid people dragging their kids in tubes. Instead we will just sit on the dock and watch the mayhem, all the while knowing that in two days time the lake will be returned to us for our solitary pleasure!
sunset by you.
This is the sunset on Thursday night ... unbelievable.

I picked a ton more lettuce, a load of cukes and tomatoes from the garden this morning -- and it looks like the tomatoes will keep coming for a while yet, as well as the cukes. The lettuce I cut all down, so that is dwindling. What will I do -- go to the STORE for lettuce? Horrors! Again, I had to stare in fascination at my sunflowers. Since I've never grown them before, I am not sure how they work, but I remember seeing the seeds sort of come out of them? Anyway, the bees are busy and they just grow taller everyday. Next year I am going to start seeds myself and have a more continuous garden, where I put in fresh lettuce after I've picked a bunch, and then get a few things in earlier so that I am not fighting frost (which I am worried about now!) I have one pumpkin out there turning orange. But think, if I'd wanted to showcase any of my garden fare in the Hopkinton fair, I couldn't have because it wouldn't be ready!sunflowers by you.
Here are the sunflowers. There are even more flowering today.






No comments: