Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Evil Credit Card Going's On



My credit care statement came in today, and I had to do my usual checking to see what charges are on there that I didn't actually want put on there. Every month it is a couple of hundred bucks of charges that I guess they hope I'll not notice.

Last month it was a renewal of my Norton anti-virus software. I don't even have a PC anymore -- just a bunch of virus-free Macs -- so I guess I wasn't interested in spending $49.99 for something I don't need. There were also two charges for the same thing -- one charge that I had actually made, and then a double underneath it. Both the Norton people and the person who double-charged me were very nice -- but it took me about 20 minutes all total to clear it up, because I had to endure their voice mail systems.

Today was an interesting one. I have a $24.95 charge from picnik.com. I vaguely remember signing up for that (probably a year ago) when I was heavily involved in taking pictures on a daily basis, and it was sort of a very light version of Photoshop. I did not, however, intend to keep it for the rest of my life, and quite frankly, the fact that they charge you every year really sucks. All of you software people out there -- you suck. Basically you are stealing. Why not send an email ASKING if I want to renew? Oh, you only have credit card information? Yeah, I don't think so.

Anyway, a very young girl voice answered the phone mechanically and for whatever problem I might have, she provided an email address. And if I absolutely needed to speak to a person, to leave a message. Yeah. Talk about making yourself available.

My other charge is from the Columbia House Video Club. Now, this has been a $()_*#()@_*)(# fricking nightmare since day one. A hundred years ago when we first got our first DVD player (versus tapes) I did the old buy three and get a whole ton for free, like I used to do with books. I don't rip these companies off, I sign up for their free books and immediately pay for the ones I am supposed to buy over the course of three years. I do it all at once. And then cancel.

But this video club, it's like a snake. It just keeps creeping around, and no matter what lengths I go to to cancel it, they just don't seem to do it. Of course, this all has to do with the fact that they are in possession of my credit card number, so they can just send me videos and charge me. I am pretty vigilant about canceling during the monthly email they send, so it really pisses me off to no end that I received one in the mail today along with a charge on my credit card bill. How timely! Like I said, I ALWAYS cancel it, I've called the company countless times to cancel but you have to write a letter. Which I have also done. That must get lost in the mail, huh? They also tell you to send the video back by writing REFUSED on the carton and dropping it in the mailbox. I've done this too, and lo and behold it comes back to me.

At this point I am thinking of canceling the credit card! Might be the only way. They already send me monthly emails saying that I need to update my credit card information (it expired and has a new expiration date) but apparently it's not all THAT necessary, because they keep sending me product.

I hope that everyone goes through their credit card statements with a fine-tooth comb. Apparently companies will do anything they can to try to cheat you -- at least that has been my experience. I don't really appreciate being charged for a service or product I didn't order, and the fact that it happens on a monthly basis implies that this is just business as usual.

And it sucks.

1 comment:

Hal said...

That's why I love the online statements..I don't even need to wait until the end of the month but can start arguing it as soon as something wrong is posted.

Oh and I never answered your facebook thing but I am officially cleared to graduate and can pickup my diploma anytime after Oct 2nd! So excited!