Saturday, September 12, 2009

Once upon a mattress


Once again we need a new mattress. My body aches and it doesn't ache after I climb a mountain; it aches after I get up in the morning. Our stupid mattress is all indented and lumpy and uncomfortable as hell. We paid a fortune for it less than seven years ago.

We have the seven-year bitch of a mattress!

Anyway, we went to a store. Let me tell you this: ALL the beds in the store are comfortable. Even the cheap one. Compared to our bed from hell, firm, soft, pillow top or not, they all felt great.

So how to choose?

Price? Well, that would seem like the way to go, but I'm not so sure. Both times we've purchased a mattress in the past 20 years we went hog wild in the price department, considering (rationalizing) that we spend so much time sleeping, blah blah blah, so we went for it.

So that isn't the answer. We looked at a Simmons BeautyRest World Class Kimble plush firm (the only reason they add that many names to a mattress is because it is difficult to google) and it was quite comfy. But we didn't buy on the spot, as we are known to do, because the third time better be the goddamn charm; and if a ridiculous amount of research gets us that charm, then so be it.

I googled it and had to put in the name five different ways to get a decent return. There were loads of complaints, all along the same lines that the mattress starts to sag quite quickly, that indentations are normal, but these turn into holes, and that when the warranty is called into question, the manufacturer says that due to the stains on the mattress, they can't do anything about it. Or the indentation isn't deep enough. There are hundreds of these comments.

I put out a call on Facebook and received a few very quick responses from my sister and three friends, and the majority are LOOKING FOR A NEW MATTRESS. One person said that the Stearns and Foster was the way to go. I looked that up, and the same complaints prevailed for that model as well.

So, here's the deal. Mattresses are made to fail and because we get so bloody tired we can't see or think straight, we go out and buy new ones over and over and over. It's a scam! I'm going to make my own damn mattress.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm so tired of hearing about "sleep technology." Here's the bottom line: It needs to be comfortable, able to withstand someone sleeping on it for close to 100 years and not develop crater-like holes in it in the first decade.

IS THIS SO HARD?

And it's kind of hard to boycott. "I refuse to sleep on a mattress until one is created that will withstand the ravages of sleep."

Hmmmmmm. I just can't picture the masses making this pledge across the land.

I guess I'll have to sleep on it.


4 comments:

Tomasen said...

I have heard similiar things about the Tempurpedic and people despising the sleep number bed! You are right...there is just no way around it! I guess we just have to console ourselves and accept that we will be buying a new mattress every seven years. This mattress we have has never been great...and it has been about seven years. Although now I almost need a fork lift to get me out of my hole!
I wonder if a king is more prone to this? Our queen still is around and never had this problem...any word on that in your research?? Although I am not sure I would give up the spaciousness of the king!!
Let me know what you discover!!

Lisa said...

Last night I slept on the queen in the guest room and Peter slept in the big bad bed. He said that it is more comfortable without me in it! And I slept like a rock. I said Problem Solved!!! He said no way, we're getting a new bed. There is no way I would return to a queen -- I'd rather keep buying new ones.

I guess if you go in knowing that you are buying a 7-year item, then that makes a little difference. Do we REALLY need the more expensive one with coils around the edge, if we aren't keeping it for a lifetime? It is easy to spend more money with the assumption you won't be spending it again any time soon. I think sticking around a thousand bucks is the way to go, every seven years! I don't think it matters a whole hell of a lot once you get to that price -- more springs, more coils, they are all going to fail. And maybe even less than seven years, go get a new one instead of suffering through the bad one until you are crippled!

Tomasen said...

Sooo...did you go today? Are you sleeping on a new mattress tonight or are you back in the guest room?? Ihear you sister!! I slept like crap last night...

Lisa said...

I slept in the guest room again and slept TERRIBLY! That is clearly not the answer. I guess we just get the one we tried ordered ... they deliver and cart the old one away.