Monday, September 14, 2009

I've got my eye on you, Corporate America


Lately my internet has been really slow. I also have noticed a deluge of commercials about some booster thing you can get for your Comcast internet package. Coincidence?

I think not.

My yahoo mailbox has been just FULL of spam lately -- upwards of 20 or more daily. I tried to play around with my settings, and what popped up but a special deal that if I wanted to upgrade my Yahoo account, I could do away with that spammy spam and also get a whole ton of things I have no desire for. Coincidence?

I think not.

I was just thinking last night, as we went to Staples to get school supplies, that the mattress store with the neon lights jammed into a mini mall was new. And look, across the street, another one. And the one we went to in Concord had one directly across the street as well. Coincidence?

I think not.

All of this is about money. And the best way to make more money for a company is to create a demand. And the best way to create demand is to somehow make their products inferior or absolutely untenable so that "the people" will buy upgrades or new models.

Seriously, a mattress store on every corner? The fact that nearly everyone I know has just recently purchased or is in the market for a new mattress? All very, very interesting. And as far as the slower internet, hey, I can wait. And I can go in and delete a bunch of ads too from my email account. But not for one second will I believe that it hasn't been done purposefully to try to get me to spend more money on something I used to have.

I am on to you, corporate America. Bring it on. You don't scare me!




4 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

Wow, mattress store in every corner? There must be a lot of deals going on there then! I need a mattress! :)

I decided to post because I also read that your connections are slow. I work for Comcast and I can get my contacts look into this for you. Send me an email including the phone number linked to the account if you'd like me to help.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Lisa said...

Not to add to my overall corporate conspiracy-theory mentality, but does Comcast have some type of program that filters out all blog postings with the word "comcast?"

Because I will admit, it kind of freaks me out.

It Rhymes With Witch said...

This is so 'Big Brother' that I can hardly believe it. WTF is this person doing on your blog???????

Lisa said...

I don't know -- but it sure makes me realize that everything I believe is probably true! LOL

My mother has repeatedly told me not to pick on people and/or CORPORATIONS in my blog. I wonder what she knows that I don't!