Thursday, September 3, 2009

Orange moon



Early this morning, just before dawn, I woke up. I don't usually do this, so I lay there for a moment trying to figure out if some sound had startled me, or what. There wasn't a pressing need to go to the bathroom, but since I was up, I figured what the heck.

As I walked toward the bathroom, there framed in the middle of the french doors was the most magnificent orange moon. It took my breath away, as it hung there in a state of almost full, surrounded by a midnight blue sky. I reached out to touch it, it was so close, and I wondered, as I tried to pinch it between my fingers like a silver dollar, if I would find that it was flat, as it looked, or truly round as it's supposed to be.

But I couldn't reach it. I stood there for a long time and wondered if I should take a picture. But that seemed like a lot of work, so I returned to bed. Peter got up shortly after, and asked if I was awake. I said yes. He asked if I saw the moon. I sat up and looked and it had sunk behind the buildings below us, making them look as if they were on fire. It looked like the sun setting. It was fabulous.

Breathtaking.

I have seen the harvest moon rising, but never setting. Tomorrow it is full. Tomorrow my camera stays with me.


No comments: