Friday, May 22, 2009

Garden of delights

So the garden idea, despite the threat of snakes, is on.  And despite my comments on not laying it out, etc. I find that I am really far more organized than I give myself credit for.

I have researched it, which is my way, and the general consensus was that for a first-time garden you should start with a 10 X 10 plot.  So, I had Charlie measure that out and I was like, oh that's for sissies.  Let's double it, if not more!

Peter came home and saw the stakes and commented that it seemed quite large.  I said it was fine, and my list of plants going in keeps growing.  It seems the ONLY thing I am not planting is corn and beans!

So Peter and Charlie cut the sod, and now Charlie and I have to roll it up and that is one buggy, hot and icky job.  Oh well.  I KNEW that was all part of it.  I really want to go to the greenhouse and purchase all the plants to put in.  Starting from seed is another step that I will take on in the future if this all works out, but there is no time for that now (thank heavens!)
102_3418 by you.


102_3420 by you.



102_3422 by you.


So after a few hours of rolling up sod, digging up patches to place it, placing it, then hefting it all into the Gator to throw the surplus over the embankment, we had a nice little patch of dirt.  Now we are waiting for a delivery of compost so we can rototill that into the soil.  Which was delivered, and we raked it out (ooooh, love the aroma of cow poop!)

102_3423 by you.


And now is the perfect time to head to the greenhouse and get the lucky little new residents of said plot.

Which we did.  And now, we have been thrown off schedule a bit by the fact our well isn't providing us with water.  Hopefully it is the pump, and they just arrived.  So I am off to intend that it is .... just the pump.


3 comments:

Tomasen said...

Tooooo coool. That is a monstah gahden! What ah you...nuts?
Can't wait to reap the benefits of your sowing!! ba ha ha hah

It Rhymes With Witch said...

People would pay good money for that sod down here.
Love your garden ....

Lisa said...

I know ... I had a hard time tossing it over the edge, believe me. But since my husband is a landscape architect who installs landscapes, and he scorned it, what's a sod roller to do?!!!