Thursday, May 28, 2009

Appreciation and thanks

Okay, as promised:

I am glad that I have the children that I do.  They are all awesome and the teenage years were a piece of cake with Hallie, seem to be swimming along problem-free with Maddie and Charlie, like wine, improves with age.  I enjoy all of them and am thankful that they communicate with me as openly as they do.  Thus far, they haven't given me anything I can't handle -- not by a long shot.  And no, that is not a challenge!

I have to say, the visit to the DMV today was so painless, it warrants a comment.  I walked in, I was the second person in line, I handed my stuff to the woman, she couldn't have been more pleasant, we chatted, I watched the people on either side of me get irate, yell and be frustrated, but not me!  Though, this is interesting.  I don't wear glasses and while I do have a left eye that is a little blurry for distances (and has been for as long as I can remember) I really do have good vision.  But seriously, every time I look into that eye thing at the DMV, I always mess up.  So today, I read the line and pull my face from the box and look at the woman and she is looking at me with the most curious expression.  And she said, "Wow, you didn't get any of those right."

Which reminded me that another time I went to get a license the person asked me if I was legally blind after I read the machine!  So I said that to the woman, and she said that I must do something wrong with the machine.  So she held it while I pressed against it, and there were the letters, clear as clear can be.  

Honestly, I've NEVER encountered someone so nice ... I was in and out of there in 15 minutes tops.  And ... the picture isn't even that bad! HAHAHAHA.

Last weekend when my back was killing me, we had gone over to the harbor in the boat.  There were people all over the place (it was early morning) in their exercise clothes, and I was completely consumed with jealousy.  I watched as a couple started walking up the steep hill, and I literally felt sorry for myself because I could hardly walk.  I walk around that part of the lake from time to time, and it's a great workout.  Boo hoo for me.  But seriously ... I am grateful for the fact that I CAN exercise and hike and get my body to move and know that I am strong and in pretty decent shape.  It is something I often take for granted (except when I am struck down in major pain from a gardening injury) and I want to say that I appreciate it immensely.  It is such a major part of my life.

And lastly, because I don't want to get a bad rep as a PollyAnna, I am grateful that I can still sing Bye Bye Miss American Pie and not miss ONE SINGLE WORD.  I have no idea why I know every single word, but I do, and I am so happy that the brain cells haven't spit out even one teeny lyric.  EVERY word I'm telling ya!  (We sang it on the ride home from Concord today, and Charlie kept saying, this is the longest song in the world!  Yep, all 7 minutes of it.)

So now, I'm going to take my Chevy to the levy ... which cracked me up because Charlie asked "What is a levy," just like I did so many years ago when I first heard the song, and I had to say quickly that it was a type of dam without missing a word!

I am blessed.  And talented as hell :) (And modest as well).


1 comment:

Hal said...

very nice post...specially since I'm one of those FABULOUS children! Since I didnt' throw anything at you in teenage years should I work on it now??? haha, cept the only thing I could think of that would be bad for me right now is being pregnant, and that is something I am not even willing to joke about! (as I knock on my wood coffee table!) Love you my wonderful mother!

And Happy Birthday!!!