Friday, May 29, 2009

Meanderings on May 29

I finished planting the garden today.  I was going out, rain or shine, and fortunately it was just cloudy and not too cold.  Dare I say, it was just right!  The dirt was so easy to work with, all wet but not too gooey, and there were worms everywhere!  How delightful, to see the little guys and know they are enriching the soil.

I know.  I was a little disturbed by the fact the worms excited me so much too.  But what are you going to do?

It took so long ... first I had to put down the weed stuff, and then I actually used a tape measure ... I don't know why.  Because the other half of the garden looked so damn organized!  I found it so interesting (and this is ridiculous and probably something I should keep to myself, but this is a filter-free blog!) that the pumpkin seeds I put in the ground were ... well.  Pumpkin seeds!  Yes, yes, I know that is over the top moronic to say, but I don't know, I guess part of the reason that I am doing this whole gardening thing is to know where my food comes from. And it is certainly mindful to realize that our food comes from seeds!

How come when you eat the seeds a pumpkin doesn't grow inside of you?

The dog was over by the garage clearly playing with a snake.  She kept sniffing around in tall grass and then jumping away, then going back.  I know it was a snake.  But no, I didn't go look.  I didn't want to faint.  The lawn needs to be mowed because all it does is rain, and everywhere I look there are snakes slithering in the grass.  (Well, it SEEMS like there are).

I believe a snake-free world would not be too much to ask for.

I found one of my earrings today, which pretty much is like a perfect birthday gift.  They are pink studs, my mother gave to me when she came back from Italy.  I've always loved them, and wear them several times a week.  A few months ago I lost one, and then shortly after that lost one of my pearl earrings.  I don't lose earrings all that often, so it was kind of weird to lose two of my favorites in such a short span of time.

So when I came across the pink one just sitting on a chair in my bedroom, underneath something, it was like a game of concentration, you know, where you turn over a card and try to match it with its like card by remembering.  I kept thinking, I KNOW the other one is somewhere else ... which means I would have two.  (I know, I am brilliant at times).  So.  It was not in my earring spots, so I kept thinking, I see it every day, so where is it?  On my desk!  The second one was there where it's been since I lost the other one, just a constant reminder of an irreplaceable item.

And now there are two, and they are safely lodged in my ears and I feel complete again, because I can replace the pearl earring easy enough.  But these would require a trip to Italy, and I know without a shadow of a doubt my mother would have no recollection where she got them.

So it's all good.   Or is it?

I mean, a trip to Italy, in search of a sparkly pink earring is exactly something that I would do.


Hmmmmmmm.  


No comments: