Monday, May 4, 2009

If this gravity gig quits, we're in serious trouble

Full Earth



Do you ever have one of those mornings when you wake up and there is a huge question running around in your head, and you vaguely feel that you know the answer, but you are not happy with the one word that doesn't really explain it, so you lay there and obsess?

No?  Really?

Because this morning the moment I opened my eyes, I was just completely blown away with the concept of the earth being round.

Seriously.

Last night I couldn't sleep.  At all.  I tossed, I turned, I deep sighed, I glanced out at the sky and wondered if there was a full moon, and noticed that the moon was waaaaaaay over on the other side of the sky (which meant morning was approaching.)  The last thought I had was how the sun and the moon rise and fall in the same place. (Not that this was an epiphany, more of an "oh no, I've managed to remain awake long enough to see the full rotation, aaaaargh!")

And then I woke up thinking about the sun and moon circling around the circle of earth, and for the life of me, despite my limited knowledge of gravity, just couldn't imagine why if you're on the bottom you don't fall off.  Or, okay, because of the whole gravity thing, why don't you feel upside down, or if you're on the side of the rotational spin, again, why aren't you laying down?

No, this is not the first time I've questioned this, but it has been one of those things not fully explained to my liking is all.  And I truly do not feel satisfied with any of the answers I have come upon.  They are all basically stated in terms of "It's gravity, moron," which is great, I knew that.  But I don't know why I knew it or what it really means, other than that it seems to work and no one is complaining.

Did you know there is actually a society who believes the earth is flat?  And the response to that is "If it was flat, you moron, you'd fall off the edge."  Which really makes no sense either, because we should be falling off in droves when we're upside down.

I am just saying.

This reminds me of the fax machine.  When we first had a fax machine installed at the office, it was because we belonged to some association that required you to have one so they could send you faxes.  This was a long time ago when the earth was green, and it was a technological wonder I couldn't seem to grasp.

HOW did it work?  I believe the answer I always received was "it comes over the line, moron."  Well, yeah, I get that (and gravity too!) but HOW does it come over the line?  I eventually did grasp the concept of digital information and how it is packaged up in little packets and executed through time and space (well not really) and then goes from one machine to the next and then is printed out.  Well, I mean, I get it in terms of not being able to explain it, I should add!

Is it normal to be concerned about such things?  Because, I've been reading about gravity and falling off the earth and I still can't really say, other than the fact that gravity always pulls from the center of the earth so that no matter which surface you are on you can still stand up, that I completely and totally "get" gravity.

Because seriously, does that REALLY answer the question?  I picture a person on a beach ball, and when that person is glued on (a cheap and easy replacement for gravity), when the ball is upside down, they don't fall off, but they are seriously getting head rushes.  BUT, if it was gravity holding them on and not glue, it just works better.  Huh?

So, there is a force of gravity between any two things, and the earth is the largest mass you deal with, and for everything that is smaller the force of gravity is less. (Like you versus everything else on earth.)

No, I don't really GET it either, I just get it.  Moron.


No comments: