Thursday, January 10, 2008

Race Day

Today Charlie had a middle school ski race at Mt. Sunapee.  While he spent the day slipping courses, standing around waiting to take his 40 second runs (four of them) or eating junk in the lodge, I had quite a productive time myself.

We arrived at the mountain at 8:30.  I skied from 9-11 and then watched Charlie come down on his first run.  When I say I skied, I mean, I really skied.  I was alone, and the sun was beating down on me and I had the slopes to myself.  I skied hard and fast, making big carving turns or short snappy turns, all the while pushing my leg muscles until they groaned.

Each time I arrived at the bottom I was breathing hard.  It was awesome!  Then on the chairlift ride up, I closed my eyes, turned my face to the sun, and meditated.

I don't normally like to ski alone, but it was different today.   I enjoyed the solitude and I fell into a groove.  I was loathe to give it up but I didn't want to miss Charlie's run.  

After I saw that, I ran into the lodge, changed, and then went to my hair appointment.  I had high lights and low lights done, I chatted, I relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed my hour and a half of pampering.  Then I went over to the general store and bought a tuna sandwich and a newspaper and ate that while reading in the car.  

For some reason, again, being alone felt so good.  Then my phone rang.  It was Maddie.  She was done with classes.  Hmmm.  I had called Peter, who was at the mountain, and he said that they hadn't even started the afternoon race yet.  So I drove to Proctor and picked up Maddie and we both returned to the mountain.  And we still had plenty of time before Charlie's first run.

I am so glad that I didn't spend the entire day watching that race -- it didn't get done until 4:30 -- that's a lot of hours to spend doing pretty much nothing.  But that is the nature of ski racing.

And ... when I do it (stand around) I get very tired and uninspired.  Hence the boring post!  But I did it!  Haven't missed a day yet!


7 comments:

Tomasen said...

Alone time....alone time...that was what I liked the best about going to Casper. I could do what I wanted when I wanted without listening to the whims and whines of others. It was so completely stress free!!
Sitting by the pool alone, eating alone, all of it delightfully wonderful! I need to get my hair done as well!!
You are all big talk, but you are the commmitted mother...more than anything else? ha ha ha...

Tomasen said...

Oh yea...and I miss your daily photo...the feet one is perhaps my favorite.
I also meant to tell you that while I was in Casper this awesome teacher brought up Guitar Hero and Rock Band and acted embarrassed that she was totally into it! I of course, flashed to the picture of you on your blog in all of your success and glory! Funny how people are embarrassed by such a thing! She really liked the drums best of all!!
Soooo....anymore photos?

Lisa said...

Now you want a DAILY PICTURE too? Do the requests never end?!!! I do want to get out there and take a picture of the lack of snow we have to compare it to the one I took of winter wonderland. It is RAINING out now and we have (surprise surprise) a school delay.

Cheryl said...

Oh, the nature of ski racing all right. I am so torn with Connor not racing. Part of me misses it. Yet, part of me is thrilled to not be doing it. Here it is a Saturday afternoon - mid January and I am home. I couldn't remmeber the last year this would have been happening. PLUS...all 3 of my kids are here with me. NO ONE is skiing. Life is crazy and always changing. I think I need to order me up some of that ALONE time!

Cheryl said...

Oh, right, btw...I like photos too.

Lisa said...

I was thinking that today -- that normally in January no matter what we are skiing. But now Maddie needs to get to school and needs to be picked up, the skiing isn't that great and it's kind of nice NOT going.

I like that things always change. And this year is kind of a weaning off year. Charlie I am sure won't ski (race) next year, so we won't be doing the yurt thing anymore. And next year it will be J2 races -- which is a whole 'nother ball game.

Cheryl said...

Funny, I was thinking this morning how I would like this to be a weaning off year. HOwever, I know Connor is looking forward to racing next year. SO...we will be in deeper than ever next year. Hannah is already talking about switching to freestyle. That will mean a J3, an A and a B. 3 totally different directions. Yikes...I better sit back and enjoy this year!