Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rule of School

It all started last night when I was checking the school website to see if Charlie had any homework (according to him he never does) and I noticed that he received a 70 on his last book report, which was an outline.

A 70?  For an outline?  He'd read the book, I'd gone over this outline several times,  I mean, it was an outline.  So I ask him, how come you got a 70?    He finally admits it was because he didn't hand in the Silent Reading Record, which cost him 30 points.

Soooo, he decided to do the Silent Reading Record for his next book report last night.   I am not sure what the purpose of a Silent Reading Record is -- but he had to read for 30 minutes then fill out a series of questions.  This Silent Reading Record is only required once for each book, in addition to the book report.  Whatever.

I hate book reports, and a Silent Reading Record is a new assault on a very tedious campaign to get kids to hate reading.  What exactly is the goal?  Do they want the kid to read a book?  Because that's not what they're accomplishing.  I listen to kids talk about how easy it is to do a book report by reading the back cover of a book and reading a few pages inside, maybe the ending.  Wa la, an instant book report.  So is the Silent Reading Record an attempt to get them to read at LEAST 30 minutes of the book?

How about the entire class reads the same book and every day they discuss the chapter(s) they've been assigned for ten minutes?  And if you're an avid reader and have already read that book, then lucky you, hand in a summary "proving" you read it and move on.  In fact, move on out of that class because we all know you're bored to tears and you haven't learned a new thing anyway.

Again, I'm certainly not going to reform public school education and at this point I am beginning to see the true genius of cultivating a society of morons who do whatever they're told -- I mean envision future classrooms of drugged out, drooling automatons staring placidly at the drivel the teacher is spouting.  "George Bush was the best president the United States ever had."

"Wow" the kids mutter in a perfectly synchronized monotone, not too loud, or medication adjustments will be made as all data is sent to the central database where the principal can monitor it from his PDA on the golf course. (Oh shit, he says to his fellow players, I might have to run up to the school after this hole if student 312 doesn't calm down and initiate the "desperate measures" clause his parents signed.  The other players, also school principals and a superintendent, would nod in commiseration.  Damn kids.)

"Do you realize children that George Bush was really God?  He did not pay any attention to the constitution of the United States.  What?  What is that?  We don't ask questions right now S-411, we're listening now.  George Bush, see his picture over there," all automaton children turn to large glossy 10 foot picture of George Bush standing by Osama Bin Laden's relatives, whom he rescued from the cave they were living in .... alright alright, this is going to far!)

Anyway ... you get my gist.  And no, I am NOT COMFORTABLE with this scenario but it's not even that ridiculous.  

But back to Charlie.   I have to stop fighting this, because it's not going to help.  Neither Charlie nor I or good at playing the system.  If Charlie takes a quiz and doesn't do well on it, then that's that.  He'd rather walk away and forget about it as opposed to taking it over and over until he passes.  So while it infuriates me that he won't do this for himself -- on the other hand, I can understand it.  It's pretty stupid.  I guess if you cared about the information to begin with, you'd pass the first quiz.  If you didn't, then it's not going to awaken a sudden interest in that material.

And he is not motivated by grades.  There's got to be a better carrot and for some kids that's getting into a particular school or they just need good grades because it makes them feel good about themselves or they are just kids who do what they're supposed to do.  But doing something you hate everyday just because is hard.

I know this.  And yet I fight that knowledge because it sure would be easier if he just toed the line, did his work, got good grades and moved on!!!  Because otherwise I have to admit that he's just like me -- and if I do that, then I will also have to arrive at the logical conclusion that he will never change ... just like me!

And then what?  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I don't know!  If you're good in school and you don't question authority, then you are a much better candidate for a future in say the corporate world.  Or working for anyone else for that matter.  But what if you hate school because it is stupid?  It's set up all wrong, and it makes you sick?

Literally.  For me, it was headaches.  Deep, agonizing, painful headaches.  These days they'd come up with a great name for it, but back then I just endured it.  I enjoyed my friends, recess, lunch, sports and having someplace to go everyday.  But the middle part -- that silliness where you're supposed to listen to a teacher go on and on about something you just picked up in 30 seconds by reading the material was enough to make a person go stark raving mad.   I used to sit in the classroom and memorize everything about it, then close my eyes and try to remember where the picture of the boat was and what color was the water?  Dark green or light green.  I would think and think and then when I couldn't take it anymore I'd peek.  Ahhh, it wasn't green at all, it was blue.  Hell of a way to spend your day -- but I suppose in retrospect it was a type of meditation.

As parent's aren't we supposed to make sure things are better for our kids?  Well, we have, in many instances.  They sure have a lot.  But the one thing we've all failed on DRAMATICALLY is school.  We not only haven't changed it for the better, it has gotten much, much worse.  And we will send them to private schools if we can ... but it's not the answer.

My first mistake was not hauling Charlie out of his first grade class and running for the hills.  If I could go back I would, and I would find a way to reach him -- to assure him that he's not supposed to know how to read in first grade, and that just because some of those girls who are almost two years older than him can do algebra standing on their heads because it's fun doesn't mean HE has to.

And I would tell him some truths -- I would tell him this is what it's going to be like, but it's okay, we call it school and everyone has to do it.  It's compulsory.

And that not all teachers hate him.  Even if they really do.

And that autistic kids have special problems and if it seems that YOU get in trouble and they never do, it's because that's the truth.   And it's okay.

And that the reason you're not supposed to let the girls kiss you on the playground is because YOU will get in trouble and this will never go away.  It will always be your fault.

And the same holds true for any fight you get in with anyone, once you get a "reputation."

And that some little girl will trip you when you're lining up in the class and the teacher will yell at you and you will try to explain to her that you didn't do anything and she will yell at you and you will feel humiliated and frustrated in front of your peers.

That you will spend many hours in the principal's office, but he won't actually give you any guidance or coping skills, instead he will play guitar with you and other children will get jealous of this and take it out on you in other ways.

And that by the time you are 12 years old you you will think you are dumb and won't understand why it's worth trying at all.

 Yeah, I don't think so.  If I knew any of the above was going to happen, I'd be typing this from the hills.

I kinda, sorta am.  A hill anyway.  So somehow I have to figure out how to make it work.

Darn.





9 comments:

Cheryl said...

It's scary how real the visual of the medicated classroom is to me. Maybe it was the part about the Principle on the golf course, I don't know.

I agree that something needs to be done. The hard part of that is it seems to be such a minority that sees that there is a problem. SO many people don't get it, or they don't care. I'm not sure which one. I don't know if it's possible to make change until MANY people are on board.

Lisa said...

Part of the problem is that the supposed advocates -- the school board, the administration, even teachers -- decided that until they had a new school, nothing else really mattered.

And yet ... think of what they might have accomplished if they had put that time and energy into say improving the math program in the middle school. Hell, even admitting that there IS a problem!

Percy Hill called Peter today about the immunization religious belief form -- they've apparently given up calling me. My kid can have an F in every subject and I'd never get a call. But his immunizations aren't up to date -- now, THAT is something that will affect his life and education. NOT.

Tomasen said...

Again, I'm certainly not going to reform public school education and at this point I am beginning to see the true genius of cultivating a society of morons who do whatever they're told -- Lisa

This is a quote that I just have to respond to...and even though my blood was boiling through most of your entry...(You had to know this would get me going!) this is the part that scares me the most.
This is what I spend my life, as a consultant, a teacher, a writer and on the school board combatting. My number one mission is to keep our kids thinking!! The more we get into testing and the "standardization" of learning, the further and further away we get from the actual kids that sit in our classrooms.
I cannot and will not give up. Not now and not ever. It is too important for so many reasons. When I sit with kids and explore their thinking... most of them, in one way or another is brilliant!! And I am not kidding. They are also starving for this kind of true intellectualism...."you mean you want to know what "I" think?" More and more these kids are amazed that I want to talk to them, to listen to them. One kid in 8th grade would not even believe me. He was sitting there, the class thug, "fake reading". I tried to talk to him about what he was reading, and because he had seen the movie he could talk in circles. And it took me all of 5 seconds to figure this out. And yet the teacher just lets him sit and do this! Never you even mind about the book report. (By the way, it is a genre created and cultivated by schools and ONLY schools. There will be NO other time in your life you will be asked to write a book report. It is not real. It is the ultimate "school" work. It has nothing to do with real, authentic learning!!) As we we were having this conversation he kept asking me, "Are you sure you are not here to test me?" To which I repeatedly answered...no. And here was a kid majorly at risk. He has figured out how to make his way in and around the system without reading, without learning and most devastatingly without having any intellectual stimulation beyond trying to get his way around the system! "Are you sure you are not here to test me? That is the only reason people come in to talk to me..." and so on their quest to discover what is "wrong" with this boy cognitively through a battery of endless boring tests, nobody takes the time to ask him what he has been thinking about lately. Or what he is interested in.
AAAAAA...I could go on and on here. This is what Louise and I are writing our book on. It is ultimately about getting back to the heart of teaching and learning that, in my mind, ALWAYS starts with the kids. NOT the curriculum or the standards or the annual yearly progress...NO it it starts with them!
I do not have enough hours in the day because my journey must continue one teacher, one student, one moment at a time and if I can find a glimmer of hope in each day...then what I am doing is worthwhile...if I can get even one teacher to consider putting down the manuals and talking with their students about their thinking...then I have to keep on going. It is a mission for me. It is the reason I was put here on this earth and the longer I am in this the more frustrating it becomes because the pendulum has swung SO far to the right that it is completely wrong!!
Charlie is just another one that has been wacked down as that pendulum makes it's way. This does not account for his experiences in general, but there is a whole new climate out there in our educational culture that speaks only to the "higher ups". The ones that only want data, data and more data.
I HAVE to stop.
I am done!
How is that for a mighty soap box and a Holier than Thou? Gotta let it out somewhere....but I am NOT sorry!! (One of my New Year's Resolutions!!)
Happy Day at Gunstock!!

Lisa said...

You're not supposed to be sorry! You're allowed to say ANYTHING you want, and your mission is an honorable one. And of course I was thinking of both you and Michele when I wrote this, wondering what your thoughts would be.

When I was a journalist and saw the world of journalism crumbling, I realized that there was no stopping it. And like education, it's a pretty darn important element that affects our society as a whole.

I watch newscasts, read newspapers and I am very much aware of the lack of integrity in all of it. Much as you see the world of education being slammed against a brick wall.

Charlie has never had one teacher reach him. Not ONE. Which says to me there are way more teachers not trying then there are trying.

The book report -- I love how you describe that as the ultimate school work. Amen to that. So stupid.

I am not sure yet why I have been put on this earth -- everywhere I look I see a cause!

Tomasen said...

And that is EXACTLY why you have been put upon this earth. To express with great clarity and humor the many things that you see via your intuition and intellect that others may be blind to!! You were also put here to write and well...now it appears as though you are exploring that very creative side of yourself that also may be the reason you are here!! Maybe it is just to be my sister and help me along the way!! ha ha ha ha. How nice to have been give my own personal saviour!!
I don't know what is up with your district. It scares me how little, no matter which of your three very different children have gone through how little any of them got any one of them. It just is INSANE!!!! Starting with Hallie and right on down the line to Charlie.
Just to give you a bit of gossip...your assistant superintendent, a woman, can't remember her name...anyway...she applied for the job of superintendent here and did not make it to the finals. She was the only one to be let go. And you want to know why...she said NOTHING!! You should read what she said in the paper. It was pathetic. I can only think that with any district it all starts with strong leadership.
How about another story? A success story. This piece was written by a young girl in a classroom where she has an INCREDIBLE teacher that really believes in allowing choices and voices for her students. This girl had nothing in her life...well what she does have is crap. Maybe it is for those, at least that we have to stick in there as well. I have to believe there are teachers...I know there are some teachers out there who get it and are in it for the kids. Read this and weep. Here is an e-mail first, from her teacher explaining her to me....(She teaches High School)

And you're right...it is the small stuff that matters so much with
kids. Moments and what we make of them. I had one today. A girl
(totally Goth in appearance) in my morning writing class who has every
possible obstacle in her way. I even attached her recent writing piece
for you, because if you have time you should read about her
experiences. Anyway, she loves my shoes and talks about them all the
time because I have loads of them in very unusual varieties. So I have
this kind of Doc Martenish pair that are actually cat faces...mary
jane style...hard to describe but adorable and I just don't wear them
anymore. I told her about them and she was dying to see them so she
came to my office and tried them on with her leopard print tights
after class today; she has on an all black outfit and white bobby
socks with lace...the whole effect was so cute! She was even wearing
sequined cat ears in honor of the holiday....so the shoes were a
perfect fit in all ways and she left delighted, braces gleaming. And I
thought, here's the kid who hasn't visited a single college because no
one will take her and Dad won't let her go with me, who spent all of
her last paycheck on groceries and can't afford the application fees
anyway, who makes her own wings and sells them and is ridiculed by the
popular crowd for being unusual and wearing odd clothes...which are
all from thrift stores anyway....and here she is, determined anyway
that she's going to college. I made her smile...even dance a little as
she went out the door. That's a moment that matters. Giving. Sigh.
What a job this is.

I will e-mail the piece the girl wrote because I don't want to post it here because of privacy issues...anyway...you can e-mail it to our fellow bloggers if they are interested. I just don't want this girl finding her writing on line anywhere!! It is an amazing piece and what a little writer she is.
And I would be amiss to ask...NO Blog from yesterday?? Uh oh!! What is happening??
Love,
t

Lisa said...

Ahhh shuddup about the no blog. I was too busy writing letters to Proctor -- Peter, Maddie and I were all too steamed up. I had no room in my head for anything else!

Which only goes to show that no matter what school you're dealing with, you're always going to run into unexpected obstacles!

Let me know, anyone, if you want me to forward the piece Tomasen is talking about -- which I received before reading this and was TOTALLY confused!! LOL

Cheryl said...

Thanks. I would love to read it.

Tomasen said...

What is up with Proctor? I must know! What did you think of this girls piece...I think it is amazing!!
h aha ha...had to mention the no blog and that is ALL you got from my entry! Guilt is a bery bad thing!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.