Sunday, April 4, 2010

What not to wear ... skiing!

The kids and I went over to the mountain to get in some more of the most amazing spring skiing I've had in years, and it didn't fail to deliver. I skied on Friday and was delighted with the conditions -- but it was even better this morning because the temperatures had gone down a little and it was a little harder. AWESOME! It was also fun because there was hardly anyone there. We knew most everyone that was -- and they were doing the same things as us -- getting in as many runs as possible before the conditions downgraded. Then back home for some Easter dinner!

It is very difficult to dress for spring skiing when the temperatures are actually more like summer. On Friday I wore regular ski pants and nearly died I was so hot. When I finally peeled them off (they were totally drenched and stuck to me) it was like a rebirth! I knew one thing for sure -- I wasn't skiing in snow pants today! But what to wear? A lot of people were in shorts; and I considered it -- but the snow is still snow after all, and when it gets on you, it is cold! So I opted for jeans because they are light and ... well. My kids were horrified! And I get it; you DO NOT wear jeans skiing. But come on. My entire wardrobe of ski clothes was not suited for today. I had to improvise.


And they actually worked out great -- until the last run (which essentially became the last run due to this fact) I sat down on the chairlift and my entire butt soaked up whatever moisture was on the chair. Lovely. Suddenly I was not happy -- wet butt feels awful. But that was just bad luck; Charlie was wearing shorts and his butt was dry. Same chairlift. (Maddie wore ski pants, because she is too cool.) It was not a big deal -- the last run we were tucking so that we could make it back to the chair on the run-out -- and it was literally more dirt mixed with the snow than snow. EWWWW~! (We had gone over to the terrain park, which is at the bottom of the mountain, so the coverage was much more sketchier over there.) The rest of the mountain is in unbelievably good shape. I am thinking of going tomorrow!

So, we sat down in our chairs to take off our boots, and I was watching what people were wearing (since the whole jeans thing seemed as though it wasn't working!) I saw some people with leggings and then shorts over that. Interesting. I said maybe that was a good idea and Maddie said they looked dorky. Charlie said they looked retarded. Okay. They used worse adjectives to describe my jean-clad legs -- perhaps dorky and retarded were steps up!
Seems like a great idea, skiing in shorts. But what if you fall? Or snow gets into your boots? I am just too practical at this stage in my life to be so ... daring?

The warm temps and sunshine make people want to dress in crazy outfits -- some people go retro and wear their crazy-colored ski wear from the 70's and 80's. That's just silly, since it is still ski wear and too hot. A lot of younger girls wear big t-shirts over leggings and crazy necklaces. There is some really bad phase going on where middle-aged men aren't wearing shirts. It's not pretty. And even the guys with the good bodies -- I don't know -- doesn't do it for me. One guy, super jacked, as Maddie would say, had on white ski pants, no shirt, his arms were tattooed from wrist to shoulder, and he was wearing a gold cross across his lumpy chest. And a pair of goggles. Eww. He just looked wrong. Lime green is a good color to wear on the snow. I am just saying. Yes, I own quite a bit of lime green, why do you ask!

One girl had on a mini skirt, a bright pink shirt, cool sunglasses and a lime green bandana around her neck. She was me -- if possible that would be an outfit I would wear today. (But hello, I get grief for wearing JEANS!) And those days of outdoing myself in the wardrobe department are long gone, I thought to myself, as I saw another girl go by in a white sleeveless sun dress (short short short!) and knew she was so far out of my league at ANY stage of my life, I wasn't even going to comment. She looked amazing. Tanned body, muscular, and when you pair that with ski boots, it works. And I would say from the guys panting glances, they thought so to.
Just add skis!

But as I was driving home in the Jeep with the top down, I noticed that people were giving us second glances as they passed by. So I looked in the mirror and had to laugh. I had on a lime green head band, my hair was basically blowing straight up from that, and I was in all pink, with neon blue sunglasses. I was an easter egg!

You may think you change as you get older, but if you look a little closer, you realize, not so much!

Happy Easter.

No comments: