Friday, April 16, 2010

Something that matters

I have been taking a nice long swim in the conspiracy theory pool as of late, and it really does become so overwhelming. None of these are new to me; I have followed them for years, but what is so interesting is that no one seems to care! And I sort of get it; because what can one do? If you get too deep into anything and want to blow a whistle, you just get killed. Plane crashes, car accidents, "suicides," and the like. Every single thing that is wrong in this world, every single thing that you wonder "how could that happen," has happened by design. I mean, you can take it right back to the playground. Are all the kids playing together and getting along? There is someone on the playground that controls pretty much everything (and I don't mean a teacher!) Kids are mean to each other and the play of power is worked out at an early age. Who do you align yourself with so you don't get a wedgie and your lunch stolen?

Whether I am reading about the corruption of government; or how corporations have poisoned our water and earth or how pharmaceutical companies keep "cures" from being "discovered" because they want you to be sick and buy their drugs, forever, I am never surprised, always sad and left feeling hopeless. What can I do? Nothing really.

But I am reading this book called The Organic Manifesto, by Maria Rodale, and instead of feeling hopeless, I am feeling exactly the opposite. By greatly reducing the amount of chemical farming that takes place in the world, we can actually save the planet ... and ourselves! We can turn it around, and at the same time kill two birds with one stone: Stop pollution and killing ourselves with eating food designed to do just that. (Seriously!)

Right now my living room is full of little plants -- which has really given me a new appreciation for a greenhouse! A tiny little peat disk with a few seeds in it turns into a three inch plant within a week, which then turns into an even bigger plant, which needs to be in a bigger environment. I transplanted everything into 16 oz. beer cups (I get very thirsty when I am in the living room these days ... where's the keg?) My hope is to have them live in the garden soon, but today we woke up to several inches of snow on the ground. But I enjoy watching things grow,and I've done a bunch of experiments with the various seeds, to see what works best. I have some in the back room with little light, some on the window sill, some I've thinned down to one plant, some I've left with many. I love the experimenting of it all -- it's like cooking. I could follow directions, but it's ever so much more fun to just wing it!

So as I read the book I keep thinking of all the things I CAN DO ... I live on 12 acres of land and while the growing season IS short, there are ways to extend it on either end. There are ways to grow fruit trees, even here in N.H. all year round. There are ways! The majority of the leaders of the raw food movement are gravitating towards a self-sustaining lifestyle and are coming up with all these great ideas, one being a dome greenhouse (so large trees can grow!) that I MUST get Peter to build! The cost of food -- fresh and organic food -- is our greatest monthly expense. (And really, how fresh can it be in the middle of winter in N.H.?) It really would be something to solve that problem, once and for all. And for the betterment of all mankind!

Now that's pretty huge!

No comments: