Saturday, April 10, 2010

Oh Olivia, shame on your teachers and you!


I have been following Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution program, and also signed the online petition Sign the petition | Jamie's Food Revolution USA | Jamie Oliver that he aims to take to Congress. (I think you should too if you already haven't!)

But this above tweet was in my Facebook feed this morning, and I was just completely overwhelmed with sadness and horror at the tweet the girl underneath Ellen Degenere's comment posted.

While it is a wonderful cause to go into a school and change their food program, from what I can see, they need to be changing their English and spelling programs as well.

There could be an argument that when something is tweety twitted that proper grammer rules do not apply -- but here's the thing. I can't write any other way. It would be a chore for me to write something with so many misspellings and errors that it is just easier to do it the right way. Does that make sense? So I have a feeling that Olivia Manley, and of course I have no idea how old she is, but she has the ability to write, we do know this, writes exactly as she wrote that. And that is not good.

Not good at all. And if she is grossly overweight due to a lifetime of processed foods, then she will die an early death semi-illiterate.

Is this non-PC to say?

I am just saying, there are a LOT of problems that need to be overcome in this country and world, and it should be approached with an holistic approach. Yes, it is great to get into the schools and change their lunch programs, but let's face it, if parent's don't have a clue what their children are eating during the day, chances are they don't really care. So will changing one meal a day really make a difference? I hope so! I think it's a beautiful crusade, don't get me wrong. But it's a band-aid approach to a gi-normous problem. We are talking about a system that people continue to send their children to -- DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY KNOW, deep in their gut, that it is causing their children irreparable harm. I am sure in the backs of their minds they are thinking, so big deal if they have pizza for breakfast, there are worse concerns than that during their school day.

Personally, I am completely and totally overwhelmed and exhausted by it all. The way I see it, there are two choices -- climb back into the hole and ignore it all, or believe that by doing everything I can for my own family in terms of teaching them how to eat and not to believe the status quo just because, then I am doing the best that I can.

If only that was my personality it would all work out fine!

Same as I can't type with lower case letters, I can't pretend that none of it matters.

Kind of a bummer, really. It's a tough world to live in when you care. If only, only, only money had been all I ever wanted. Then I'd be all set.


No comments: