Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hot and cold, cold and HOT


Yesterday it was hot out. I had on shorts, flip flops and the top of the Jeep was down. I sat and watched Maddie's softball game and a few times uttered "this is ridiculous how hot it is."

And it was. Was being the key word here.

For now it is cold out, which is typical of this time of year. But come on already, fluctuations in temperatures of 30 to 40 degrees a day is over the top. I am not amused.

I had to switch out of flip flops back into clogs (with socks!) and when I go to the softball game this afternoon, I will need a coat.

I had to walk around and close all the doors and windows that were thrown open yesterday because IT WAS SO HOT OUT, because now it was SO COLD OUT.

I'm not complaining. I am just complaining. And why not? If the weather is allowed to do whatever the hell it wants, why can't I?

Yes, I see you agree with my reasoning!

Oh, there isn't any?

EXACTLY!

Seriously, a few days ago I was panicking that I was behind in my garden. Today I am thankful that all my little planties are safe inside. The dog keeps digging holes in the dirt because she thinks it is hot out. I have to keep yelling at her to stop. IT's COLD OUT you foolish dog. Cut it out. She doesn't get it. But she is a dog.

I don't get it either. And I believe my brain is a little brighter than hers. A smidge.

Easter dinner we sat on the deck and had dinner. I love that. But it's just a fluke. We recalled that the last time we did so was when Charlie was three. Over ten years ago. I mean, it's not exactly a "roll" in weather patterns. So in 2020 we get to have Easter dinner again on the deck?

Can't wait.

That's what you get when you live in New Hampshire, I keep hearing. That doesn't really help me, since I can't really understand why I live in New Hampshire about 99.9 percent of the time! I love spring, people cry, when the sun shines.

What is spring? Nearly 90 one day, 45 the next? That is fun? It is torture if you ask me. Never tease a weasel ... teasing isn't nice.

Oh, now now now, I love spring too. The few days that we get of it. When it is high 50's and 60's and there are no bugs and the brown world begins to turn green. I am happy to see the buds on the trees, the flowers coming up, and all that. Really, I am. I just don't get why I choose to live in an area where that is such a big deal. LOL

Here's the problem. Yesterday I was literally sweating as I was running around getting things ready for people to come over. Sweating. When I went to bed, I was so hot I couldn't have any covers on. When I woke up in the middle of the night I was freezing. I have been cold all day and it is gray and windy out as well. It is like eating chocolate cake one day, and then having someone cram mud down your throat the next.

It sucks!

Now I am sure a quick perusal of the calendar would discover that my moodiness is somewhat enhanced by the imminent arrival of that "time of the month" when bitchiness is the special on the menu. But still. STILL STILL STILL.


I think it was the flip flops that set me off. I love wearing flip flops. I was just irritated beyond belief that it was too cold to wear them. I went out to fill in holes the dumb dog dug (alliteration and anger are absolute allies!) and my toes froze. GRRRRRRRRR.

Oh well. Tomorrow it could be 90. Would that make me happy? Yes. I prefer nice days to not nice days. Who doesn't? But if I could choose I would prefer that it be just temperate spring temperatures without these crazy highs thrown in that make the temperate spring temperatures feel COLD!

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.


No comments: