Sunday, April 25, 2010

I need to run for the hills, not watch it

I was reading this afternoon. I found a little patch of sunshine in the living room, grabbed my Kindle, and settled in for a good read. I was thoroughly happy -- completely content -- when Maddie came in and asked if she could turn on the TV. My book was good, so I didn't think the TV would distract me all that much, so I said sure.

She put it on a show called "The Hills." I have never seen this show before and didn't pay that much attention at first. But I had a few questions. Like why did all these blondes (I had a hard time telling them apart at first) live in really nice houses and drive crazy nice cars? Maddie shrugged.

I asked her if they worked. Did they have jobs? Other than being blonde and having the most banal conversations with their girlfriends and boyfriends, I couldn't really see them DOING anything worth watching them. In fact, the conversations were so ridiculous, I had to start commenting. And also, I asked Maddie, was there ever anything but a full moon in Malibu? Because I'd been to California before, and thought it was the same moon we have on this coast.

She said she would never watch this show again with me in the room. As the sun began to set, I asked her why the show never ended. Oh, it was a marathon. Every season of the show since it began. Fortunately she didn't suck me in until season 5, because it is the final season before the new season begins on Tuesday night. At 10:00. Oh, yes, I know. Because I AM ADDICTED. Maddie left hours ago, and in between reading my book during commercials, I have watched this stupid show since 4:00 or so. It is now close to 8:30. It has not improved -- the conversations have remained banal -- grown women fight over the same two guys -- they're not even that cute (though Maddie disagrees) and the couple that are married are fighting because she wants to have babies now that they've been married for two months and he never wants them.

Ridiculous. (Did I say that already?) It is so high school, and I didn't even like high school, so I have no idea why I have continued to watch one episode after another. I have figured out which girl is who -- but that took a lot of episodes -- mostly blonde, perfect braced teeth, slinky little bodies and apparently nothing else to do but go out to lunch and dinner. Though they fight a lot, so they sit down in a restaurant, order a drink, then one leaves after the fight. I am left to wonder, who is paying for those drinks?

Do they lead rich, full lives, and then go out on dates with the same two guys just for the TV show? Is the girl who clearly has a drinking problem now in rehab and that is why she hasn't been on the last few episodes?

And this guy, Spencer, who is nearly in tears at the thought of his wife being pregnant: What if she is? Does he realize that a potential child will be able to pull up these episodes in the future and realize how wanted he or she was? (Should I be concerned about this? I wonder, because one of the things his wife said in a teaser about the upcoming episode was "I never thought I would get a divorce."

So that means the unwanted baby might not have to deal. That is good.

And are they sleeping with each other? They are very coy about this, and it bugs me. Oh, no, spoke to soon. Kristen is in bed with the super banal ummmm, I think Justin.

This show is incredibly stupid. But is Kristen going to stay with Justin or is she going to continue to try to get Brody back -- just so that she can fight with his girlfriend Jayde. Who is really the only dark haired girl on the show. And a total two-year-old. "You are being rude to me I am not going to let you be rude to me it is not nice when you are rude to me I am not going to talk to you if you are being rude to me."

OHMIGOD shut up already. But he of course likes her because she is always leaving him.

Did I mention the whole show is ridiculous?

Are you thinking the ridiculous part is that I am watching it AND talking about it?

I would agree with you. Except that I am busy.

You know.

Watching THE HILLS.

(The music is really good, I must say.)

Yeah. I am watching it for the music.

BAHAHAHAHA

No comments: