Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday musings

My favorite thing to do on a Monday morning is to just sit. After I've done the drive to take Charlie to school, once I've cleaned up the kitchen that seems to mess itself up on it's own between last night and this morning, once I've checked and responded to email, etc. it is nice to just sit and soak in the silence.

I love silence.

It is getting so green out -- the lawn has pockets of deep, rich and lush grass and then lots of brown spots as well. What, the sun doesn't hit it all at the same time?

Speaking of sun and plants, I really wish that I'd known that growing your own vegetables was such a pain in the butt. I have already invested quite a bit of time into it. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but I spend more time moving them around to get optimal sun -- and I think I am losing about half of them due to the fact that they are so LEGGY. I of course am not following directions and do not have them under lights. I could, but I am just so determined to do it MY WAY! And they require water, but not too much. And since they aren't in much dirt, they need their squirts of water twice a day.


I yelled at them yesterday.

I know, they probably took it to heart and that might explain why the lettuce is all slumped over, almost as though they are in pain. I didn't mean to, but when you put them in the sun they dry out. One dried out COMPLETELY! Like it had been zapped by the rays of the sun.

I also spend far too much time thinking about them. Should I start the seeds in a different room where they aren't seeking the sun? Should I put them in the back bedroom and draw the curtains? The basement? The mud room? (Is it really worth losing sleep over?!!!!) I think not!

I also get frustrated by my total lack of knowledge in all things garden and plants. I spent hours yesterday preparing beds to plant sunflower seeds. I have a boatload of the seeds and so I went inside to get them. On the package it said they would grow as much as twelve feet tall! How cool. It did not, however, say how far apart to space the seeds.

Seriously? Does everyone know this but me? Is it such common knowledge that it's not worth even mentioning on the package? Of course I then had to look it up, and for some reason whenever I do a search I am always at some place at some far off part of the country that has nothing to do with me. Like Missouri -- I am sure it is a lovely place -- but I don't think it has the same climate as New Hampshire. I can't even say with any authority whatsoever if that even matters. I have no authority. I hate feeling dumb.

I did an "average" search, meaning I checked a handful of links and pooled together their directions and the average answer was 18 inches. (Some said more, some said less.) I planted the seeds, and then couldn't remember when I planted them last year (and they came in beautifully) if I had put in more than one seed. Geesh.

I was very calm and peaceful and reflective when I started this post -- and now I am all riled up.

Deep breaths.
Deep breaths.

The good news is if all of this fails, then I can either go to a nursery and buy the plants or hell, ditch the whole thing and go to the grocery store. So, there should be NO PRESSURE!

But that's not me. I like to succeed. I was so proud when my little seedlings started sprouting. Now they are defecting on me with their weeny little stalks, unable to carry their own weight. I have no room for inferiority!

I am going to go speak to them now, in an encouraging tone, and tell them how beautiful and strong they are.

See, now I can't remember, I know you are supposed to talk to plants, but veggie seedlings?

I am NOT looking it up. I don't care what they do in Alaska. This is me, in New Hampshire, and I can talk to my plants if I want to.


No comments: