Sunday, April 11, 2010

Date Night on Family Night


Everyone worked outdoors today in the beautiful spring weather -- Peter did mucho work around the yard filling in holes the dogs had dug and pruning trees and bushes, and Charlie decided that he wanted to clean out the brick patio over by my garden.

Pretty soon all of us were by the patio, Charlie and Peter were hacking at sod and shoveling it out and Maddie was working the edges, getting rid of all the creepy crawly stuff that had grown in over the years. I have decided that I am going to grow sunflowers all over the place -- so I was digging out a spot along the stone wall that edges the brick patio. We had a good time scaring each other (first Maddie was walking to me and then had this look of horror come across her face and she was staring at my torso, and I of course was sure that it was something horrid on me so I started beating myself with my dirty gloves. When I realized she was just yanking my chain, I yelled at her and told her she would be sorry.)

Her dose of sorry was when she was crouched below me working away and I took an old withered sunflower and scratched her cheek. She freaked. We all laughed, thought it was pretty funny, and I explained that you DO NOT scare me and expect to get away with it. We called a truce and there were no more creepy crawling sightings/feelings after that.

Anyway, everyone was working hard and then both kids went inside to do homework, so I suggested that we do a family movie/dinner night, to which they readily agreed. I wanted to see Date Night, so I left them to their homework for a few hours, then told them it was time to go. Charlie immediately fell asleep in the car (he really worked hard for hours, beginning with spreading manure in my garden then rototilling it in while I took a six mile walk) and when we arrived at the theater, he said, "wait a minute, I don't even know what movie we are going to."

I said Date Night, and he groaned and said he should have stayed home, and Maddie saw the movie poster and her comment was I HATE TINA FEY. (How can you hate Tina Fey?)

Well, the movie was HILARIOUS. We all laughed and laughed and laughed. It was seriously SO GOOD, I think I would see it again. Some of the lines are just so funny and almost all of it is believable (there is one car scene where, well, no, someone would have died) but other than that, excellent flick. And good enough for the whole family (well, teenagers anyway.) We then went to dinner and proceeded to crack each other up quoting lines from the movie.

But most exciting was that we drove home and it was STILL LIGHT OUT! It was a perfect spring day -- the temperature was perfect for my walk; there were no bugs while we worked outdoors and there was a beautiful, cooling breeze and because the kids had no school, we were able to spend the day together with no interruptions.

Seems like you wait their entire life for days like this -- when they don't fight or do something that causes you to have to yell at them -- and instead everyone just enjoys each other's company. And the movie was like the icing on the cake, because these two people (Tina Fey and Steve Carrell) think that they have to do something to spice up their "boring" lives, when soon enough they realize, ALL they want back is their boring lives.

Hilarious.

Go see it. Or else zip your vagina.


No comments: