Saturday, April 24, 2010

Organic Manifesto

This morning I finished Organic Manifesto, by Maria Rodale, a book that explains how organic farming can heal our planet, feed the world and keep us safe.

My kind of book. But even more importantly, it makes me realize I am on the right path -- oh, and that path has so many curves and U-turns in it -- it's a good thing I like to travel. Right?

Last year I had my first vegetable (organic of course!) garden. It was an experiment to see whether or not a) I could even stand it, since I have this belief that I hate gardening; and b) to see whether or not it provided anything of substance. It was a successful experiment in that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would and I loved having access to fresh lettuce, cucumbers and peppers. That is what was what I got the most of, and so this year I am starting things from seed to see how that goes -- and already I love watching everything grow in my living room.

The one constant in my life is that it is so hard to obtain fresh, organic food. Last week a friend and I went to Andover, Mass. to shop at a Whole Foods. There were several products that I had read about that were only sold there, and of course I always enjoy being surrounded by a beautiful array of happy and healthy produce. It is absolutely ridiculous, of course, to travel over an hour, into another state, for groceries. It shouldn't have to be that way, but in the book, Organic Manifesto, the author states that she is glad that it exists at all. And that is true, and a much healthier way of looking at it. I spent the most I've EVER spent at one time at a grocery store that day, and with my jaw hanging down in shock I muttered to my friend I would never shop there again! It is ridiculous, I exclaimed. I don't even have anything for dinner!

But when you break down the bill, it becomes much more understandable. For one, I bought $100 worth of skin products that I wouldn't normally buy when purchasing food, I also picked up several (very expensive I might add!) natural remedies for sinus and upper respiratory woes that we all seem to be experiencing, and three raw chocolate bars at $8 apiece. Since I make raw chocolate, I know exactly what it costs to use superior ingredients, and $8 really isn't unreasonable. But it is a total luxury, since of course I do make it, and just as well as the store-bought brand! (But that was also one of the items I had read about, only sold at Whole Foods, that I was anxious to try.)

My point is, I didn't buy anything that I don't normally buy (except for the pricey chocolate) I just don't usually buy it all at the same time at the same place! And isn't that what supermarkets were all about? One-stop shopping! Talk about a case of not being able to make ANYone happy! Here I am, driving substantially out of my way, and I am mad because it's not cheap.

It's not cheap because it is good! Good for you. Not cheap and more than likely to kill you down the road.

As stated in Organic Manifesto: "...in the United States we have come to expect -- and even feel entitled to -- certain things being cheap: gas, food, news and anything made in China. Our primal buying habits have encouraged this belief in ways that people don't usually consider, and its effects are deeper and more harmful than we may realize. You can witness the effect of price and money in our current recession. All the righteous griping from environmentalists and people like me barely makes an impression on Americans' buying habits or driving habits, but with a financial crisis and all the fear that comes with it, shopping comes to a screeching halt and the whole economic system starts falling apart."

After reading this book I feel incredibly guilty about driving a huge SUV. Sure, I can rationalize it by saying I need such a vehicle because I live on a mountain and so on, but the bottom line is, it is a tremendous luxury and it does suck down an extraordinary amount of gas, and I know we are on the wrong side of the slope in regards to Peak oil, and yet I still keep on trucking (or SUVing.) Why? I can't really answer that with anything other than, because I can. I guess I talk the talk but don't walk the walk -- at least not as much as I could.

I use the environmentally friendly shopping bags (which are clearly manufactured in China, because they don't hold up for anything and I am not sure how many trees I am using and/or saving by using them) and I do not buy bottled water and I turn out lights that are on in empty rooms, etc. But I think I just cross that all out every time I climb into my big-assed car and drive my kid 50 miles to school.

It's very frustrating. But I did get a lot of hope from this book. And I will go into even further detail about it in another post as this one is getting long and I have little seedlings crying for water!!!!

Feed me!

1 comment:

Hal said...

If it makes you feel better you can still count my emissions which are zero towards the fams!!!! I might even say I have negatives because I take cabs who would be going even if I weren't in it!