Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow way to avoid it


We have been though winters here where it snows and snows and snows. I have stood on snowbanks in my driveways and looked over the roof of my two-story house. I have watched snow drift up over the windows and watched as my husband shoveled snow off the roof and then hopped down. Off a two story house.

I love it when we get storms that never seem to end. We have been through two very serious ice storms in the past decade. Weather is unpredictable and freaky and fun. We have had no school for weeks on end, we have had countless state of emergencies due to weather. I love it all.

I don't know why. I guess it is because I love things that are exceptional and out of the ordinary. I love it when things go big and huge and almost reach crisis dimensions. Because you can always figure it out. You can shovel your car out and drive somewhere where there is no snow or ice if it bothers you. And I love to drive in the snow and seriously, you could stay home and eat all the food you have in your cabinets and pantry and never go hungry for quite a few days. You actually can survive without milk and bread for a few days or a week even. WHY ARE WE SO NUTS?

What intrigues me are the people who make A HUGE DEAL of it and let it completely envelope them. Why? When records are broken for having more snow than has ever fallen before, to me that is just fun. I don't know if I believe that all these climate changes are due to global warming. I am not sure I even believe in that anymore. The earth has its own way of dealing with its survival -- and if it needs to clean up a bit, well, it is stronger than we are. The message here is that things are no longer as they used to be. So deal with it. So what if you never had snow before. Chances are, you might just have it all the time now. So adapt.

Adapt.
Adapt.
Adapt.

Right now we are getting no snow. Sure, that is kind of a drag, because when we have snow we can do more things -- like snowmobiling and skiing and making really big snow men. When you grow up with the expectation of snow in the winter, you figure out how to deal with it. If the future holds no more snow for this region in the winter, if everything is going to go all topsy turvey and the south is going to get winter and we're not -- then the best thing to do is expect that. I guess I can stop skiing and find other things to do to fill my time in my new snowless winter. And I would expect those that derive their livelihood from snow removal, etc. would head south in the winters with their equipment, so that it would no longer be a huge big old deal when it snows there.

My point is, if it is happening, then it is a reality, and what better way to deal with reality than to deal with it?

I just spent a day skiing and it was fabulous. Many years ago, when I was in high school, we went through close to seven years in this region where we didn't get any snow. So the ski industry figured it out. They installed snow making and when the temperatures dip below freezing, they make snow. They still do it now so that they can open the mountains early and extend their seasons.

We can adapt to whatever Mother Nature serves up because we are capable of adapting and figure it out. I just read something where they think there might be snow in all 50 states.

Kind of cool.

I think.

5 comments:

Tomasen said...

Every state except Hawaii. They are still holding out!!

Lisa said...

I thought Hawaii had some on their mountain peaks?

It Rhymes With Witch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
It Rhymes With Witch said...

Yes, it snows every year in Hawaii in the mountains ... fall through spring. You can actually ski at Mauna Kea, on the Big Island. They have no equipment, though .. you get dropped off and really need to know what you're doing. No lifts, etc. Hardcore stuff.

Lisa said...

Yeah, definitely not my kind of skiing! I like groomed slopes and chairlifts!