Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do I have the juice to ski?


I am on day three of a "cleanse," which means that in the past three days I have been drinking green juice like it's my job (who knew how many different tastes you could get out of greens?) and trying to decide if I can go skiing.

I did yesterday and instantly became quite dizzy. It's hard to ski when you are dizzy, so we went into the lodge and I ate a salad. Not a healthy salad by any stretch of the imagination -- it was iceburg lettuce, sad looking tomatoes and a few cucumbers -- but it did the trick and I was able to continue skiing without further danger of passing out! I also had a salad for dinner (this time a healthy one of spinach) but I woke up with my stomach grumbling this morning.

I don't really want anything, I am accustomed to drinking a green juice for breakfast, so I don't feel deprived, but the light headedness is back and I also notice my muscles ache from yesterday. Which they shouldn't, because it is mid-ski season. Just another side effect I guess.

What amazes me is how good you feel. I mean sure, you feel a little hungry, but I keep telling myself if I want to, I can have a pizza. I am not into deprivation on any level -- but after my period from hell I figured my body needed a little tweaking! And wow! Just two days into it and there is such a feeling of wellness, it's really incredible.

But should I ski? I am torn between wanting to hit the slopes and enjoy the few inches of snow we got overnight, or just taking it easy and not have to worry about eating enough to make up for the exercise. If only the skiing conditions were bad, then it would be easy! But no, they are fabulous and the sun is out, the sky is blue. Such problems I have!

My idea was to finish my juice and see how I feel. The juice has too much ginger in it -- it is killing me, burning the roof of my mouth. Next time I read six inches of ginger I am putting in ONE! So I am feeling kind of ew from ginger overload. (Which is ironic, because you take ginger to settle your stomach!)

This has been a delightful cleanse in that I haven't felt tired or experienced any detox symptoms whatsoever. (Of course, coming off of feeling so tired I thought I was going to die, I suppose the contrast is a bit extreme!)

Well, I just wanted to record this to remind myself that I can juice for three days (or 2 anyway!) and remain positive.

Pizza anyone?


No comments: