Sunday, February 7, 2010

The fast went fast

Five days on a juice cleanse -- I really, really, really got so much out of it. Not only did I completely cleanse, but by Friday, I felt so darn good. I skied on Friday too, and had a cup of soup so that I wouldn't feel faint (that is actually allowed. You can have soup and salads daily throughout the cleanse, though in the course of the week I had three salads and two cups of soup and for the most part drank juice and water and tea.)

Instead of being thrilled to have it over, I was more interested in keeping it going. So I juiced in the morning and then Maddie and I went to a movie. I hit the health food store to stock up on green green goodness and decided that I would have a wrap that had avocado, red peppers and a sun burger in it. My concern with any type of fasting is that your body just goes into survival mode and your metabolism cranks way down. I am sure this is so -- I mean, that is how our bodies are designed. I think once you get past the point where your organs get a chance to focus on other things because they don't have to go about the business of digesting food; the circuitry switches and everyone in there is saying WE ARE STARVING!

So I felt compelled to eat, even though I wasn't all that hungry. You are supposed to gently break your fast, but all of the soups had meat in them or the other one was bean chili. The thought of putting beans into my happy system seemed criminal, so I opted on the wrap. I also picked up a small bag of dehydrated and raw veggies and off to the movies we went. I absolutely loved my wrap and crispy veggies and the smell of popcorn was very off putting. One thing is for sure, your tastebuds are certainly awake! Wow, everything tasted so delicious. I wasn't able to finish the wrap and I was worried it would be too much. But it was all good.

The hardest part with any eating plan in my life is the access to organic, fresh food and the fact that we live in an area that has shitty restaurants that serve crap food. It is absolutely brutal, and why I end up giving up most of the time, because to maintain a social life, I either have to cook all the time or go out and eat crap. So, we went out with friends, and truthfully, I had a kitchen full of good food I had just purchased and I was torn, but I also want this to make sense. I don't want to have to stay home to make it (it being my life!) to work, because that isn't feasible. I will throw in the towel eventually and all will be lost.

So, I thought, well, a couple glasses of wine and some salad and pizza should be okay. A little harsh for coming off of a fast, but I'd managed the wrap just fine, so off we went. I expected that one glass of wine would throw me for a loop, but not really. Not really at all! I had more than one. I had one piece of pizza and was fine with that, but I was concerned that maybe I was just used to being dizzy or something and wasn't really aware of the effects the wine might be having on me -- so I had another piece. It was cheese and herb -- very delicious. And I decided that maybe going on a vegetarian diet isn't the right thing for me. Because then I would even lose this option!

So my perspective has changed a bit. I CAN go out and eat without throwing in the towel, so to speak, and still feel good and then pick up the juice in the morning, which is what I did. Normally at these restaurants I will get some chicken or fish dish and think that I am better off, but I don't think so. Keeping it as clean as possible is the way to go.

The problem with any eating plan I have glommed onto is that I believe that I MUST eat that and only that or perish. I cringe at the way I would pack a cooler where ever I went so that I would be assured that I would have the right food. I was always worried that I would end up in a situation where I had NO access to what I ate, and then ... and then what?

Exactly. One thing this fast has taught me is that when in doubt, just DON'T. As in just don't eat. You can, in fact, go days and days without it! I can certainly leave the house for a few hours and be okay!

An entire sea change in perspective in a week.

Why, that was FAST!

HAHAHAHA.

No comments: