Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby, how come you're so wet?

I did something I have never done before -- I read the book Shutter Island, devoured it, really, and then went to see the movie the next day.

I never would have gone to see the movie if I hadn't read the book, because the previews were disturbing and I don't really like that head game type of stuff. I do not really like to be scared for the sake of being scared, but after I read the book, I realized that wasn't the story at all.

Of course, there was no suspense in my case because I already knew what was going to happen, but because my perspective was that of being enlightened, I could pick up on all the subtle glances, etc. that would have been totally missed and meaningless otherwise.

It's a great story, and watching the movie brought the book to life --all the casting was perfect. But I am not sure which I would recommend! I bet the movie would have been fantastic not knowing the outcome from the get-go; but the book was a real page turner.

What I liked was the immersion -- going from reading the book to watching the movie -- and having the story in my head and really considering it from all angles.

The whole thing makes me shutter!

Go see it.

Or read it.

Or both.

2 comments:

Tomasen said...

We saw the movie this weekend. And I would be interested in talking to you about the ending. I think he knew what he was doing in the end! Do you?

Lisa said...

Scorcese took poetic license at the end. I do agree that that was the intent -- to make you think he was just yanking their chains at the end -- but in the book it was unequivocal insanity. It ends with him saying we will get off this island, Chuck ... and then he sees the glint of the metal on the straightjacket. The End.