Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One market crashes, another blossoms


So, I was going through this little thing called "The Shopper," which is full of ads and doin's around the area, and as of this summer there will be a new farmer's market in just about every one of the surrounding towns.

Seriously, do we need that many?  Are there enough vendors to provide wares to all the seeker's of farmer's markets stuff?

The town that I live in has one and whenever I go by there always seems to be a fair amount of cars.  It is held on a Saturday morning, and the timing just doesn't work for me.  I like to have my menu planned for the weekend before the weekend so I can enjoy myself and not worry about food, so the problem with a farmer's market is that you can't depend on them.  Not like the supermarket, where the shelves are always stocked.

I make a juice every morning that requires a head of lettuce, half a bunch of kale, apples, lemons and ginger.  Out of those ingredients only two can be obtained at a farmer's market -- and then only for a short amount of time.

I guess what I am saying is that in New Hampshire, they just aren't practical.

Now ... in California and other states that don't host winter for 9 months out of the year, they make a lot of sense.  But here?  I don't want a jar of jam and I don't want that goat's milk soap nor do I want a home-baked pie.  You can get ALL of that at a decent store that deals in such items and while you would think I would be the first person to head to a farmer's market, I am actually not.  Like I said, I find them inconsistent, inconvenient (they are on certain days within certain hours) and over-priced!

They are, at least in this area, tourist attractions.

Then I think maybe I should set up a booth and sell my raw chocolate concoctions -- because they are super yummy and good for you.  But would people buy them?  They would have to be somewhat expensive because they are made with only the finest ingredients.  And they are temperature-sensitive and will melt if you don't eat them immediately.  I don't know.  I'm not a true entrepreneur, I've never cared about doing something for money ... but I do see a trend here ... and maybe it would be wise to jump on it?  

I don't know.  Just mulling it over.  It would be a full-time job keeping up with all the burgeoning farmer's markets in the area.

Maybe for now I will write down the phone numbers or dog-ear the pages in "The Shopper," and go eat a piece of chocolate and think about it.


No comments: