Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Movies and books


I love movies.  And books.  And books and movies.  I love to curl up with either/or and completely immerse myself in whatever they have to offer.

I recently finished The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.  What a good book.  Of course, it's not a book you want to read if you have other things to do in life because it completely sucks you in and you lose all contact with reality, but I thoroughly enjoyed every page.  I love that feeling, when you have done whatever you are doing for the day, and dinner is in the oven (or you're just not going to cook dinner because you sat down and started reading and lo and behold, it's too late to ook dinner!) and you think to yourself, what was I going to do?  Oh yes!  Read my book.  It's better than a hot date.

Seriously.

So last night the kids and I watched "He's Just Not That Into You."  I love all kinds of movies, I am an equal-opportunity movie watcher, but I have a real place in my heart for romances, those movies that are as predictable as the sun coming up; but still worth basking in.  This one was pretty good and it was funny because Maddie kept saying, do girls really act that way?  Do guys?  Oh yes, they do.  

The movie starts out with a young girl on the playground and then a boy comes storming over and pushes her and starts yelling at her and telling her she smells and looks like dog poo.  Of course, she is slightly upset, and as she sobs, her mother explains to her that the reason that the boy treats her like that is BECAUSE HE LIKES HER.

Oh my.  I must say that I am guilty of telling my children this very same thing, and when you look at it from different perspectives, you realize it is incredibly damaging.  For, the only thing you are going to search out in your pursuit of a man is one that treats you like crap.  Because that means he likes you!  Except ... sometimes it actually means HE DOESN'T LIKE YOU! 

Geesh.

So, I returned that movie (has anyone used the Red Box?  I find this thing to be so intriguing ... it costs ONE DOLLAR to rent a movie for a 24-hour period.  One buck.)  It is a vending machine located at the grocery store; which I tend to avoid, but unfortunately we continue to have to eat.  So why not make it fun and get a movie?  Love it.  I used to use Netflix, but it seemed expensive because I have movie moods -- I don't watch movies all the time.  So for months sometimes these movies would just sit around, and then I'd watch all three consecutively and forget to mail one back and then I'd be left in a movie mood with no movie!

I also love the on-demand movies through Comcast, though those are pricey if you watch them every night (which when I am in a movie mood can happen.)  I also will tape old movies that I see are playing (without commercials) and watch those.

So for tonight I have New In Town.  And I am looking forward to curling up on the couch and watching it.

I love movies.  And books.

And books and movies.


3 comments:

It Rhymes With Witch said...

Just watched this yesterday and thought Jennifer Anniston was pretty good .. and I normally loathe her. The whole flick was enjoyable.

Love Redbox .. but we always forget to return them.

Lisa said...

Even being late on redbox just means another buck or two. Beats Comcast on demand, which are 4.99. Though it doesn't take long to go through their inventory!

It Rhymes With Witch said...

Yeah, we have Dish Network and I find myself renting movies from them (at the same $4.99) more often than I should.