Sunday, September 7, 2008

Yo, McCain, how come you didn't call me?

I must admit that I am a little freaked out by people's comments and perceptions about the new vice presidential candidate on the republican side.

I mean ... what seems so blatantly obvious to me ... is so NOT to others.  And I am struggling to understand where the disconnect is.

I listen to all stages and ages ... and unless someone says something along the lines of "oh my gawd, they are so desperate,"  I am left feeling ill and queasy. Because exactly what part of this gun-toting, mother of five, soon-to-be grandmother of one, governor of Alaska seems appealing?

I am just so curious.

Comments I have heard:

She was a fisherman and she can drive a plane.

She is incredibly qualified in foreign policy because she negotiated with Canada in regards to the pipeline.

Seriously?

Oh my gosh people, I have nothing against her, but she is so not ready to be president of the United States, which can actually happen when you are the vice president, even more so when you are vice president to a 72-year old man with health problems.

The truth is, the vice presidency is this really sucky job ... unless the president dies or resigns, though that doesn't happen often.  Then, well, wowsa, it's really cool.  And when Gerald Ford took over for Nixon, he actually fell on his face climbing out of Airforce One ... you know, because he was like HOLY SHIT!  Because they don't plan on doing much more than funerals, shooting people in the woods, you know, normal everyday crap like that.

BUT RUNNING THE COUNTRY?

Do you want me to run the country?  Because my kids are older now and quite frankly, I have the time.  I have no special needs kids and I ran a newspaper -- not totally, of course, but hey, I get the gist.  I have foreign policy experience because I took Spanish in high school, and get this, I actually WENT TO SPAIN!  No, really.  I was there.  Kind of like an ambassador.  Yeah.  Put that on my resume.  Ambassador to Spain.  For like almost two weeks.  (Gawd, their food was awful.  But I was young.)

I had a child OUT OF WEDLOCK, which kind of makes me anti-abortion, right?  Sure.  That works.  I wasn't 17, but I was well on my way to being ... A SOCCER MOM!  No, really!  I am!  Hot dog, I am so qualified!  I am not against guns ... I have shot at apples on a stonewall, so in truth, I could be a pistol-toting, soccer mom.  It's all in the spin.

OHMYGOSHIAMSOEXCITED!

I am so totally qualified to be a VP.  This is like so better than being a VP for a bank, cuz like, they give you that title and you're supposed to be like so happy, but shit, if I was VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, I could really rock.

Why am I fighting this so much?  This means that ANYONE can be a vice president.

God Bless America.

I mean, WHAT is the difference?




2 comments:

Riddler said...

It's interesting to hear that you, too, identify so closely with Mrs. Palin. So closely, in fact, that you put yourself in her position. That's a major reason for the rise in her popularity, folks that identify with her common persona.

And, you'll find that doctors at the Mayo Clinic find McCain's health to be "excellent". With the longevity of his mom, I think the concern of his age is not significant.

Cheryl said...

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!