Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wanting to be the crazy woman




It has turned cold here, in the mornings anyway, and yet I refuse to put the top up on the Jeep because ... I don't want to.

For the most part I use it as my "fair weather" car, and when it is cold or rainy I use the other one.  I am of course quite lucky to have such an option.  Last week when I met my sister and her group of friends to hike, I had taken the Jeep despite the chilly temps.  It was a cold ride over, but later in the day it was fine.  At the end of the hike we were standing around, and several of these women commented that it was a cool car.  Then they asked if it was cold to drive around in.  My response was that yes, it was chilly, but not unbearable.  And then I said, "It's not my only car," which in retrospect sounds kind of snobby, but it's not how I meant it.  And from the looks they gave each other then me, they took it NOT as I intended!

What I meant was, I had a choice to be cold.  Of course that is not going to translate through "it's not my only car," but in my mind it did!  In truth, all I have to do is put the roof on and I'd be fine, but since it's NOT my only car, I just kind of think of it as not having a roof.  Get it?

Well, probably not, I know I am odd.  Which I think is what I want to be!  Get it?

No, probably not.  Just saying you are odd is not the same as actually being odd.  And I am not really odd, because what does that mean?  I just want to be unique.  There, that is a better word.  And yet why do I want to be such a thing?

I was driving Maddie to school today and she was freezing.  She was not dressed up in a heavy fleece coat and a winter hat like I was, and she kept saying I was ridiculous.  Which of course is the point!  Which she didn't get.  Or did she?  Maddie likes to be different too.  So I told her I want to be the crazy woman.

There used to be a woman in town who drove around all four seasons in her purple convertible with the top down.  She wore a crazy hat with a flower in it, she was quite colorful all around.  And memorable.

So is that what I want to be?  Memorable?  Do I want to be "that woman who drove around all four seasons in a Jeep with the top down?"  I guess kinda sorta!  (Though I am telling you right now, the coldest it has been while driving thus far is the low 40's, and I can't imagine going much colder!)

Or maybe it is as simple as I just like the idea of doing something that is a little crazy.  Sure, it's cold, but it's invigorating.  This morning I drove through this misty area, you could hardly see through the fog, and then all of a sudden it was gone, and there was blue sky and sun and it was like, wow!  That was cool.  Then I had to drive back into it on the ride home, and that was kind of cool too, the moist air all of a sudden surrounded me, I could feel it as I breathed in, and then up ahead I could see the sun working its magic and making it evaporate.  Let's face it, you don't even consider such things in a closed vehicle.

I don't know what it is about this car, but I enjoy every minute I drive it.  Even in the cold!  Even now, when I am switching throughout the day between luxury car to Jeep, every time I climb into it I think, Wow, I like this Jeep.  It's not as comfortable as the Toyota, certainly not as smooth a ride, and yet, there is SOMETHING about it that I can't get enough of.

And if that makes me crazy, then cool!


2 comments:

Tomasen said...

You ARE a crazy woman...no need to try! Haven't you figured that out yet? ha haha.
Love,
t

Lisa said...

I am not sure if that is a umm, good thing ...?!!!