Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I have email coming out of my ears

Why do we save emails?  I am sure there are some people out there who delete their email after they read it -- and so do I.  Daily.  But for some unbeknownst reason there are emails I keep, and even when I go through them all in some method of housekeeping attempt -- I still keep a ton.

I can scroll through them, I don't have any desire to read them, but I keep them, oh yessiree.   First there are the ones you read but don't feel like responding immediately.  You have to save them because you need to.

Then there are the ones that have been sent due to an email address change.  Now, there is no way no how that I am going to take all of 30 seconds and switch that email.  Oh no.  I will save that email in the unlikely event that if I ever do compose a new email to that person (as opposed to just responding to the one they have sent) well, then I will have the real address.

I have a bunch of those -- including all the emails they sent with an earlier email address.  So in truth, if I need to figure it out, I wouldn't.  But I have the email.  So it's cool.

Then there are the ones that send along something funny, and well, you keep it.  It wasn't altogether THAT funny, but maybe, just maybe you will think of a person who needs to read it.  I have never actually ever forwarded along an email funny to someone unless I did it right after reading it.  But still.  You never know.

Then there are the emails that are generated when you purchase something.  You have to save those, just in case the item doesn't come.  And by the time said item does show up, the email is buried in the past.  

And all the coupons I get -- you can't delete those.  Even the ones I get that are only good for two hours on Tuesday.  You never know.  You  might just want to use it during that window on Tuesday.  Even if it is Wednesday and the opportunity has passed ... well, so what.  It's not like the mailbox is full.  In fact, that might just be what I am striving for -- to push the limits of my mailbox.  It's some umpteen megabytes, so it may take thousands more emails.  But I am sure I will get there one day ... because even when I am done writing this, I am not going to go erase emails.

I know me.  Even when I get it down to like 10 saved emails (and even those could truly go) in a few days it's right back to loads of them.  And we're not talking junk mail either.  We're talking legitimate emails that I can't let go of.  I have two email accounts, each with about 200 emails in the inbox.  That's not counting the ones I have moved to folders to be saved for I have no idea, but they were more important than the ones just left to rot in the inbox!  Some even have titles, like Hallie's Email.  But even though I have a specific folder for her, there are currently about 30 emails from her in my inbox.

Go figure.

Well, this isn't very exciting, I know, but I don't want to blog about politics and I don't want to blog about the end of summer (sob sob) and, well, please excuse me but I have to go read my email.

From 2001.


No comments: