Friday, April 18, 2008

If you've got a miracle, I wanna know about it

And now ... it's coconut oil.

No one falls for things like I do -- I will admit that.  And even while the intellectual part of me knows that the book I am reading is a marketing tool and not based on facts necessarily -- I still eat them up.  And ingest whatever wonder food and or/drink they are raving about.  (Which reminds me, I need to make Kombucha today, and rearrange the pantry so I can start growing wheat grass again.)  

I believe that all of these things do have positive aspects -- and I probably don't need them all, all the time, but how does one know when to stop?  Can you become addicted to feel good things?  (Didn't I just sound like Carrie from Sex and The City there?  Hee hee.)

So here are a few of the things that I have been doing lately, in addition to Kombucha, Apple Cider Vinegar, Wheat Grass and now coconut oil.

Dry brushing.  Whoa momma!  One wouldn't think that something so simple would be so invigorating ... but you take a long-handled stiff brush (I purchased mine at a health food store for like six bucks) and in long strokes you brush your entire body.  It feels a little rough at first, but when you are done and in the shower you feel GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Then out of the shower, feeling good, and on to the Neti Pot.  The what?  The Neti Pot I said.  This is this silly teapot-looking thing that you fill with warm water and some salt and then plug into one nostril, tilt your head and let it pour out the other nostril.  I found this to be a little disconcerting at first (heck, the Neti Pot itself sat on the kitchen counter for weeks, to remind me I had to use it, but I was afraid!) and it actually didn't feel that good at all.  It felt like it does when you get water in your nose swimming -- and I am not a big fan of that.  But ... the next time it was as it was supposed to be -- a relaxing stream of warm water running through -- and if you get that nose in the water feel, you just tilt your head to make it stop.  I am not going to say the entire process isn't kinda gross -- because when you are done with that part, then you have to blow.  Blow me down -- ICK.  Kind of think of it has a powerhouse version of blowing your nose.

But afterwards, you take these deep breaths and feel so, so ... open!  I love it!  I am now officially addicted to body brushing and Neti Potting.

So yesterday I was headed to Concord to meet Peter at his office and after doing the above two things, I decided to coat myself in coconut oil because the book I had just read went on and on and on about its therapeutic effects -- and with warm weather coming up, we're going to start showing some skin baby!

I slathered it on quite liberally, and hit every square inch of my body.  I glistened, I smelled like coconut and I looked in the mirror and thought oh shit!  This stuff isn't soaking in!  There was no way I could put on clothes, unless of course I wanted to ruin them, so I decided to go make a smoothie while waiting.  So, I am walking around the house in my naked, coconut glory, and the dogs are traipsing after me ... LICKING me!  It was so gross!  I had to keep yelling at them, stop that, leave me alone, I am not edible!  I had to finally put them out, because especially Lucy, she was just loving my legs and kept looking up at me like, why would you make me stop?

So, eventually it soaked in enough to get dressed, and I met up with Peter.  Later he asked me what took me so long to get there.  And I thought, do I tell him?  So I said, well, it took a little longer than I expected to body brush, Neti Pot, shower and cover myself with coconut oil.

I do NOT believe that there is any correlation to that statement and the fact that he brought up my getting a job at dinner that night.



2 comments:

Tomasen said...

I can't believe you DID the netipot! EWWWWWWW!!!!! You just let me know how that continues to work out for you!! And did I say EWWWWWWWW????
And what is so great about the coconut oil? What is so great about that?
Love,
t

Lisa said...

Everything is so great about the coconut oil. Gives you energy, boosts your metabolism, makes your hair and skin wonderful, etc. etc.

As for the Neti Pot. I AM HOOKED! When I take a deep breath it feels as though I can breathe in and out forever. (And of course with the additional coconut oil energy, I can!!)

Are you not glad that I spend my life finding all of these little miracles in jars?