Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's midnight already???

One of the great mysteries of my life today is HOW the heck did I ever work?  HOW could I possibly have done anything but that, when now, with hours seeming to stretch out before me at the start of a day, I am always finding the day ending without having accomplished all I want to do.

It's not that I am not getting the things on my list done ... well, first off because I don't have a list! I can't live that way, though people swear that you get tons done when you follow this system.  My way of going about things is much more organic.  Which I think is another way of saying psycho, but whatever.

So this morning I slept in -- which I will do WHENEVER possible, but primarily because I am, like tonight, doing things when other people are sleeping.  I love nights, I am alive and awake and generally have to force myself to go to sleep.  So I get the 8 hours, just at different ends.  Okay, so I came downstairs and thought that I would like to work on my book, take a hike and that would be a perfect day.  Then I remembered that I have to do this slide show for Charlie's middle school ski team, so I started to do that.

Somehow it went from 9:30 in the morning to like noon.  I went upstairs and folded the laundry that someone had put on top of the machine, went into my bedroom (I am not even sure why I went upstairs in the first place) and remembered that the pile of clothes on the chair in my room has been really bothering me.  So I started on that, then went back and folded more laundry, started a new load, then realized that the sheets that have been residing in the hallway should go in the closet, but that needed to be rearranged, so I did that, then back to finish the chair job, oh, the upstairs bathroom is kind of looking for a spritz, so I cleaned in there, then decided to change the sheets on my bed.  But they are the new sheets, the really expensive egyptian (sleep like an egyptian, do do do do do) cotton sheets, so I washed those.

I went downstairs (a good hour has now passed) and returned to weeding out photos from the slideshow project.  Then I started on the music, but then I thought, there must be a way to use bits and pieces of music, rather than the whole song, and Maddie said sure, you just use GarageBand, which I do have, and I played around with that, but it seemed very complicated, and then I ran upstairs to switch the laundry and realized that Charlie's clothes were all over the place, so I put them away in his closet, and then I realized that I had a great idea for my book, so I rushed downstairs and wrote that down.

Then I just did a random "edit songs on your Mac" search and it brought me to a bunch of software options, so then I read reviews on each of those until I narrowed it down to one and I downloaded the demo version of that and started fiddling around with it, and pretty soon my desktop screen was full of windows with all sorts of different songs that I was hacking up and pasting here and completely NOT reading directions since that is not my thing, and then I thought "Gee, all this work, and what if I can't save it," which was a great thought, but it crashed the whole computer, and then I panicked and thought I'd lost the stuff I'd done on the book not to mention the slideshow, and I freaked, but no, everything seemed fine.

And then Peter went by (he's been remodeling the back bedroom since Christmas, just a quick job, said it would only take a few weekends) carrying boards and drills and saws and said that I needed to either pick up Charlie at the mountain or drop off Maddie at school and I was like "I don't have time for that can't you see that I am busy?"  (this was before I discovered that I HADN'T lost everything) and he was like, "yeah, and all I do all day is eat bon bons," which made me wonder, why does anyone say that?

It's stupid.  A bon bon is a hard nasty candy.  It would be no fun to spend the day doing that.  HAHAHA.  And so it goes, one digression (is that even a word?) after another, is how I play my day.  But it goes by soooooooooooooooo fast.   And while I don't stick to a game plan, I do get a lot done.  It just depends upon whether you think that a ton of laundry, organizing your crap upstairs, working on your novel, creating a slideshow and learning a new software program are things worth doing.

And I do.  So there.

Hallie arrived a little after 4:00 and then we went up to Lebanon for dinner and then we came back and watched a really bad movie, though it was well written, just not light and funny, which is what everyone thinks movies should be, but why do we have to do everything for pure amusement?  Why can't we watch movies to make us think?

And then I remembered I hadn't done my self-portrait, so I did that, and then I wanted to keep working on the music stuff, because that is new and challenging and fun and I want to write my book .... and yet, it is nearly midnight and if I don't go to sleep I will stay up until dawn.  Once I get started ... nope.  I won't even go there.

I have had several "you are NOT writing in your blog daily" comments from people, so how about I add that to my list, you know, just to make sure it gets done.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA




5 comments:

Tomasen said...

My Dear Crazy...Organic Sister...
Feeling a bit of that PMS energy are you? I can only relate as I am jonesing to clean, clean and clean some more. It is a once a month phenomenon that I fully enjoy taking advantage of! That and the fact that there are no men in the house!! Ba ha ha haha.. Your entry sounds a bit hypo-manic my dear and all I can say is that normally I might be envious, but where I am in the same place as my energy grows with the current swelling of the moon, I can only say onward my moon sister and seize the moment...and really...who cares what time it is anyway...it's not like you have to go to work!! Ha ha hahaha

Lisa said...

Yes, I felt a bit hypo-manic when I wrote it, I was wondering if it would come across as such!

ANOTHER crack about work. Geesh!

Tomasen said...

You are right. I did comment on work twice! Not knowingly though! Honestly, you went through the hardest years working full-time...at a time when I couldn't work. So, "no flies on you ha ha" (From my spiderman poem...funny how much mileage I get out of that one!
Anyway...no more cracks about work!! And yes, one hypo manic can only identify another hypomanic!
Is the energy still there??

Lisa said...

It is still there! And I always know it because I can't sleep in the morning -- even when I am going to bed near or after midnight. I sometimes just don't need that much sleep -- and then other times I could sleep until noon!

Today I want to finish my slideshow AND get back to my book. And figure out exactly why I thought that Charlie having a party here (they have no school again, day six) made sense if I want to be productive! I think that's the problem -- you feel like you can do everything, so you say yes. Very unrealistic. It's like having three dogs, you just keep saying WHY?

Tomasen said...

Soooo...how did it work out in the end? Were you able to get anything done? I am glad to hear you were open to a girl/boy party. Zach wanted to have one here for the Superbowl and I said sure, but one mother made this big deal about them being "together" in Zach's room!! Whatever! Did I mention that their daughter is here alot and they are ALWAYS in his room. The more you make of it there more there is to it!