Thursday, March 19, 2009

Take these ruby slippers and stuff 'em!

Coming home after an extended time being away is always a bit of an adjustment -- but the contrast was quite expansive and left me a bit jarred.

Instead of towering red rocks surrounding me, I was walking the aisles of Home Depot and Sam's Club today in somewhat of a daze.  It was like being transported from heaven straight to the doors of Hell and left to navigate without a clue as to why I was there!

Peter kept saying, "Are you with me?" and I kept gazing up at the towering shelves of stuff and shuddering.  What was I doing there?

Well.  Peter re-did the downstairs bathroom while I was gone -- and it looks fabulous.  In fact, it looks almost too good.  What does that mean?  It means well, it doesn't really go with the rest of the house!  In my constant yearning for the ocean I came up with a beach theme that is exactly as I envisioned.  Except that it sort of needs to be in a house on Martha's Vineyard!  I forgot to add that part to my vision I guess!  Ooops.  But the toilet didn't have a toilet seat, so he wanted to get one today.  And he neglected to mention he had to go to Sam's Club too.

So instead of hiking today, I traipsed concrete aisles and felt somewhat displaced.

Then we went to the Concord Co-op so I could stock up on some food.  Except they didn't have any.  Oh, well, they had food, but it was so decrepit and lackluster and DEAD that I couldn't bear to bring it home with me.  Graveyard food is what it was -- and after being in the heart of fresh food, after walking into a grocery store in Sedona that nearly brought tears to my eyes it was so laden with beautiful, FRESH food, this place felt useless.  In fact, I said I was never going to return!  It used to be I could actually purchase that stuff, believing that its organic-ness was enough.  Now I know that dead is dead no matter how it grew.

It also didn't help that the day was overcast and gray, the world is getting muddy and it's cold and raw out.  I mean, it's nice to see my family and all, but I had no desire to hike in the muddy, snowy woods and that is just as well since I will be starving to death due to lack of good food!  So, let's see, another four or five months before anything grows around here, right?

I don't know how many days it will take before I am too weak to sit at my desk and type, but I'll keep you posted.


I'm meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeltinggggggggggggg  aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh



2 comments:

Hal said...

very creepy picture. You can come hang out with me in Macau! We have fabulous weather. just need to get over the smog, humidity, and wall of cigarette smoke that is everywhere.

haha totally not making it sound good, I like it!

Lisa said...

I loved the picture -- depicted EXACTLY what I needed it to!

Today was sunny out and I hiked up a trail at Attitash while watching Maddie race so at least I felt as though I was DOING something. The key is to stay out of big box stores and I ate an organic chicken sandwich (that I made) so I guess I won't be melting anytime soon!

As for the cigarette smoke part -- EWWWWWW. In Vegas everyone smokes and I was not liking it. I am so accustomed to no smokers anywhere -- much prefer that. And wait, smog and humidity are not plusses either. Exactly WHAT do you like?