Friday, March 13, 2009

Stirring the pot

I love it.  As state economies take a nosedive, it is suddenly in vogue to consider legalizing marijuana, or at least it is here out west, where the little planties thrive in massive illegal crops that are making a lot of money for some people (and the government is starting to think AHA!)

I think all illegal drugs that have created a market for thugs and underworld creatures should be legalized, taxed and put on the free market to erase the middle man who takes all the risk.  It is hypocritical (in my mind) for it to be illegal to inhale, ingest and eat certain types of drugs, while it is encouraged to take pharmaceutical drugs prescribed by doctors that are basically the same thing. 

Like prohibition, the drug trade is a huge industry that creates massive amounts of money for the sector of society willing to do something illegal for gain.  I love the show "Weeds," where a suburban housewife who suddenly loses her husband and livelihoood turns to selling pot as the only way to keep herself in the lifestyle that she is accustomed to.  The lure of all that money keeps her embroiled in all the craziness the drug trade brings, and it's not so out there that it doesn't make sense!

I don't know if legalizing drugs would erase the drug cartels ... I don't know if they would just go out and kill all the government officials (because that is what is happening in Mexico) but it's just another one of those things that seems so silly.  Think how many people could be released from jail for drug crimes.  More money saved.

I would love to know the argument for NOT legalizing drugs.  I mean, because we the people are not responsible enough to monitor ourselves?  I can't think of a time in my life when I couldn't GET drugs (not that I have, I am just saying ...) and I don't exactly fit the profile of a major drug user.  (Well, I guess I could, I suppose there is no specific profile, but take my word for it, I am not a major drug user!) and I suppose I should probably not make such statements either because this is not a sane world.  But during the time of prohibition, it's not that people didn't drink ... and I don't know of any alcohol cartels in this time (well, some states, but that's another topic!)

Anyway, I am open to being made to understand why keeping drugs illegal makes sense.


No comments: