Monday, March 16, 2009

On the edge


















I don't know what is going on, but I can't get enough of scrambling up rocks, getting to high peaks, tip-toeing out on the edge ... and this picture is no illusion.  You have to hug the wall to get to the point I am standing on, and after that, there is nothing.  Free fall to death.  And?  I love it!  LOVE IT!  Going down I can't seem to get enough.  My personal goal is to not sit on my butt -- and I will take a few moments and ponder all the possible ways I can insert foot here, hop there, do a few quick steps and put the brakes on.  

I have always loved to hike, but this is something different.  This is such an incredible lack of fear.  These red rocks just scream peace and serenity to me.  These red rocks get in your blood.

Let me explain.  Sedona is known for its vortexes -- these are areas of energy and there are specific areas where it is stronger.  I personally believe that the entire area is energy-rich (I felt the same way at Stonehenge) but I have had two specific experiences where I felt it in a major way.

Yesterday it was somewhat mellow, but I felt it in the wind.

Today, at Cathedral Rock, I was somewhat overwhelmed by it.  I climbed out on this rock and it was drop down to your death space on either side.  The walls of the rocks towered above and within moments I could feel the energy swirling through me.  Let me explain this as best I can.  I felt as though my body was rocking.  At times I would open my eyes to see if I was okay -- the pulsing throughout my body was not violent, but very real.  At one point, after deep breathing, I suddenly found myself panting.  I had to diligently work to keep my breathing paced -- by taking deep, deep breaths and then exhaling slowly.  The energy swirled, my body rocked, I felt deeply rooted to the soul of the rock.

I don't even expect to make sense.  It just was.  There were people around, I could hear their voices.  It didn't matter.  I was completely immersed in my own experience ... the place is known to be where Native Americans felt the energy of their ancestors -- it is a sacred place.  No argument here.

When at last I went to stand up, I was completely lightheaded.  (Not a good thing to be on a narrow rock surrounded by death falls.)  I took deep breaths, I worked on restoring my balance.  I felt ... amazing.  I felt ... alive.

The trek down was wonderful.  Every part of me was present ... I felt the sun upon me, I heard the birds, the wind.  I was hot, I was sweaty, I was aware of every cell of my body saying YES!  YES!  YES.

I am an energy junky looking to live on the edge.

Is that a bad thing?


3 comments:

Hal said...

Your posts are for sure making me jealous that I haven't been able to make it out there. Though I have to say, I am obviously loving my time out here. Still don't think I can truly comprehend the fact that I am in Asia.

Aren't we such an adventurous family!! And energy junky is good... whatever you can get it from.

Lisa said...

Well... you and **I** are adventurous ... not sure if it is a "whole family" thing! I don't think I have quite gotten wrapped around you being in Asia either. I think by the time I digest it, you will be in Chicago... and then I am headed there! Jamie said it was 75 there today and the tables were out on the sidewalk at the bar!

Hal said...

That is fantastic! Though as I'm writing I am sitting out on my deck sweating...haha. one good thing about night shifts, I get to sunbathe all day. Get to see the sunrise every day as well!

You must be heading home soon huh? I can't believe how little we have been in touch this month....I miss my MOM! lol