Sunday, June 8, 2008

Traveling with the gals

So my two new buddies are Garmina and Maggie. They are extremely patient, very knowledgeable and while perhaps a little monotone, you listen to them intently.

Garmina, otherwise known as the GPS system Garmin -- and Maggie (Magellan) have changed travel for me forever! No more poring over maps and squinting at teeny tiny lines trying to figure out where the hell you are and where you want to go. Now all you have to do it program your destination into Garmina or Maggie, and wa la, you are on your way.

I am addicted! Garmina is in Linda's car and Maggie is in our rental. I bonded with Garmina first -- I was introduced to her on my birthday when Cheryl, Michele, Grace and I drove to Beverly, Mass. It was Michele's and my first lesson on using such a tool is that when it tells you to go in a certain direction and you are staring up at a sign that seems to be telling you to go a different way -- listen to the Garmin(a). (I am not sure if Michele's Garmin is Garmina! LOL)

Anyway, Garmina will quickly recalculate and tell you how to continue when you do make a wrong move. She also says "recalculating."

Maggie is more subtle. She doesn't say anything, she just figures out the next move and the directions change. I actually missed the "recalculating" comment, but perhaps Maggie is for those that don't like to think they are ever wrong.

Having been intimate with both Maggie and Garmina, I am not sure which one I like best. They both have the same basic features -- Garmina is easier to use in that you push the buttons on the screen and with Maggie you have to use a button that is mostly arrows and I find it a little irritating. But Maggie's screen is bigger. Though I can't figure out how to get it to show when we will arrive, where Garmina has that right on the bottom of the screen -- the actual time that you will get to your destination. And it is remarkably correct.

The bottom line is that there is a Garmina or Maggie coming into my life real soon. I will never print out another questionable Mapquest map again. My life has again changed dramatically!

How cool is that!

2 comments:

Michele Koenig said...

Oh good, you are hooked on GPS. MIchael and I independently researched the options (unbekownst to each other), and came up with the exact same make and model. One feature that is particularly exciting on my Garmin (I guess I need a name for it) is the "pedestrian" mode. I can't wait to hit NYC, Chicago, or even Boston for that matter. It is small enough to fit in my bag ( I carry a small one), and has an excellent battery life.
Peace. Michele

Cheryl said...

I must say, after Beverly, I am feeling the need for one too. LOL. I liked Michele's Garmin - easy to use and read. Love the idea of a Pedestrian mode. Certainly a reason to keep the unit smaller. I have noticed that the Garmin's come in many different sizes. I'm sure each has different options as well. Michele, which model is it that you have?

Cheryl