Friday, June 13, 2008

Peace

I knew that I really, really wanted a Jeep (Wrangler), and have, for years.  I don't know why.   And every year Peter and I go to the Vineyard in October and rent a Jeep and that has only kept that yearning alive.

Well, when we were in Palo Alto, CA we were walking along the sidewalk and I spotted a 4-door Jeep without a top, and I stopped and said "whoa, what is that?"

The only 4-door Jeep Wrangler's that I'd seen in these here parts had hard tops and looked like big vehicles, not a fun Jeep.  Peter and I had already determined we needed the extended version that was apparently only made for one year, and we'd test driven one that they wouldn't give us a good price for with our trade-in, and I was wondering if it was ever going to happen.

But apparently bringing the 4-door into play made all the difference in the world.  I received a phone call yesterday from Peter asking me what color I preferred:  Silver or maroon (well, he actually said purple at first and all I could envision was this hippy dippy color that I'd have to paint daisies on!)  I should also point out that this didn't exactly turn me off!  Since I already have a silver car, I said let's go for the maroon!

So last night the kids and I drove home with the roof off -- despite the chilly 60-degree temps -- and I was like YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

The dogs love it -- I put all the seats down in the back and they have plenty of room and they adore hanging their heads out the side and sucking in the wind.  What's not to love!

But this afternoon while Maddie and I were driving back from the lake, my hair was whipping around, the music was blaring and we were singing at the top of our lungs and I yelled to her "I love this!" And I remembered driving my first car home -- the crazy 4-door Volvo sedan I purchased for $3,000 solely because it was the first car I looked at that met my criteria:  That being a sun roof and a cassette player!  But that was what it felt like today ... so exciting!  And while I've had quite a few cars since the Volvo, I've never re-experienced that same excitement!  It is awesome.

Oh, and there's more.  We passed another Jeep Wrangler, and the girl held out her hand in a peace sign.  I looked at Maddie and said "How cool is that, we're part of a new club!"   So that's going to be my gesture too -- and I have to admit, it gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling because she knew!  She knew exactly how I felt.

Now I just need the perfect Jeep-driving hat.

Now I can take down the picture of the 4-door Jeep I taped up months ago near my desk and bedside table.  (The theory being that if you want something and intend for it, it will happen!)  What is funny is that the picture I had was a blue one, and I was never quite sold on that color -- and ALSO -- I was always a little hesitant about the 4-door altogether.  But clearly I always knew.

I am so smart!


No comments: