Friday, June 25, 2010

Moon over the crybaby

So. Last post it was all a little up in the air -- you know, bitch, kvetch and all that. True, I amended at the bottom that things improved after a singing session in the open air Jeep. True therapy.

But it got even better then that. I headed over to the lake after all the stuff I was dreading with a cooler packed with drinks. (I alluded to the fact that the caffeine needed to be drowned out. And considering it is 11:30 and I am not the LEAST bit tired might mean that didn't work, but I did try.) I set up under the umbrella on the dock with a magazine and was ever so happy. Peter showed up soon after and I poured myself my first cocktail of the evening. Then more family members arrived and we sat there for several hours chatting. Then Peter and I took off in the boat for dinner.

And guess what? They were having KARAOKE at 8:30. I love to sing, I always have. And a few weeks ago a friend and I stood up and sang I am Woman, by Helen Reddy, and Peter said we were terrible. So for about an hour after the karaoke began, I did not participate. But ... I wanted to go up. I don't know why. It's like any of those things, either you want to, or you don't. A woman next to me was restless and I could tell that she SORT of wanted to, and I even convinced her to look through the book, but ultimately she didn't have it in her. Why not? These are not fears I carry. There were lots and lots of people up there who sounded terrible. But that's okay! It's not about sounding like a rock star -- it's about having the guts to get up there and try. I really believe that. The guts or the desire, whatever.

So I put in my slip, and was called up, and I sang, and it was awesome. I love to sing. I make no apologies for it! And when I returned to my seat, Peter even said I sounded good. And he was excited that we could leave!

OH ... we got outside and the moon is full (or close to it) and it was bright and balmy out. We took off in the boat and it was just sheer heaven. And I thought, I began this day, six miles after a walk with a huge blister and then a wicked period hitting me and all the other stuff and I let that bother me. But NOTHING bothers you when you are flying across a lake in the path of a full moon and the air is warm and not damp (as it tends to get as the summer wears on) and I just really got how lucky I am. I know I am. Sometimes I just need to be sort of kicked in the butt softly by a gentle bump on an otherwise dead calm lake.

Now, let us pray that the amount of alcohol I consumed will overtake the caffeine I never should have touched.

Are you with me?

:O

1 comment:

Hal said...

So fun! Lauren and I ended up packing a fun drink assortment and biking out to the lake last night!!! We sat there till like 11 or so and the moon was HUGE and gorgeous. It turned from white to a pale pink to fushia to this brilliant orange. It was amazing! I felt the exact same way you did being in the boat though. Sometimes all you need is a little nature beauty to remind you that everything is relative and we are lucky to just BE here!

Lauren also commented on the moon path because it was heading straight to us. Out of all the places on the steps we could have chosen we chose the one right in the moon path!