Friday, June 25, 2010

Change of seasons period hits with vengeance BEWARE

Well that was dumb.

Yesterday my sneakers were in the car that Maddie took to work, so I wore my hiking boots. They gave me a blister somewhere between my big toe and the next toe ... ouch. Today I figured I'd just tough it out, and hoped the blister would just pop itself and all would be good.

Well, six miles later it really, really, REALLY hurts. Like as can hardly walk. I have NEVER had a blister in this spot before, it is weird.

I didn't eat anything before I walked, so when I came home I had a banana muffin. That should have been enough, but last night I made the most delicious recipe -- it was spinach egg noodles with a sort of pesto dressing, made from asparagus, spinach, toasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese -- all whirred through the food processor. OH, so yummy. There was some left over, so I thought, ooooooh, I want me some of that.

Now I not only have a painful blister, I am so full I could explode. What I really needed was a green juice, not green food. Noodles and I, we have a love/hate relationship. I love to eat them but my body just takes them and blows them up like balloons in my stomach. It's killer! When someone offers me spaghetti I wonder why they want to try to kill me! Seriously.

So those are my woes. That and I have to drive to Concord to pick up a car. I hate Grappone with all the passion (this is a dealership where we seem to buy ALL of our cars!) one can muster for hating a business. I can go back to my very first car and tell you stories about this place. But when we bought the latest Toyota Peter also bought the *$#()_*&#(@)_(#)@_*($@ service package with it. Why? Why, when your wife is sitting there saying she will HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT ... I'll tell you why. He is seduced by the free tires. Somewhere in all that small print are the words FREE TIRES and he can't get beyond it. He can't hear the fact that I will DO ALL THE MAINTENANCE on the car if I can take it to the garage I want. OH NO. His brain takes those two words FREE TIRES, imprints them madly and he signs on the dotted line. Forget about the fact that we are PAYING them to treat us like doggy doo. It is not free maintenance, oil changes, etc. OH NO. We pay for that. What you DO GET if you do not stray and maintain your car there each and every time is a pair of free tires. WHICH YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR! Because our last Toyota we did this (some of us do NOT learn as easily as others) and they just keep saying no, you don't need new tires. The car wasn't going to pass inspection without new tires! Anyway.

The first oil change escapade Maddie and I did. We made an appointment, we went in and I gave them the coupon (this is basically a piece of paper that they take and then put you on the bottom of the list because they have actual paying customers there that they want to make happy. Coupon people have already paid, they could care less about you.) Then we went to the waiting room where we sat for two hours. As you can ascertain, that was the LAST time I did it, and I said I will NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. So ... the car was seriously past it's 15,000 oil change, but Peter doesn't have time. He works, you see, which I completely understand. But this is not some ooopsy mistake here. He willfully and soberly signed himself up for this, and when I said I wasn't going to sit there, he said he would DO IT HIMSELF. Shit. We haven't even gotten past 15,000 miles and it's already a headache for him. AND ME.

So he dropped it off this morning, hopped a ride back with his crew and came back here and picked up his truck and Maddie took the third vehicle to work. What about me, you ask? Why, I get to sit here, carless, and wait for Maddie to get home SO WE CAN DRIVE DOWN AND GET IT. (And let me tell you, the only time you need a car desperately is when you don't have one.) Thank heavens this is not affecting ME at all. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. It is an absolutely perfect lake day. I haven't been to the lake in weeks. Yes, I realize I sound ridiculous, but I don't care. It is the principle. I take the Jeep to a wonderful place down the road. They give me a free loaner, and off I go about my business. It is convenient to drop off and pick up and they aren't mean to me.

My husband chooses a set of free tires over the ease of just having me deal with the car (and seriously, how free are they after listening to me bitch all the years he takes it there.) Once he gets the free tires, I am free to take it where I wish. This is a power struggle thing that resides in all marriages, and I am quite tired of signing up for this particular one over and over again!

My foot hurts.
I am never eating noodles again, I swear I am going to explode.
Oh wait, all is good, I get to drive to Concord in 80 degree weather to turn around and drive home again.

Oh, and PMS has struck me with a surefire vengeance. Thank GAWD I can blog. I just made garlic scape pesto and I am sure my breath would kill someone.

Peckerhead.

I just felt like saying that.

PECKER HEAD. Get it? BAHAHAHAHAHA

UPDATE: The antidote to above is a nice long sunny drive in the Jeep with a contraband iced coffee (I don't drink coffee and I absolutely CAN NOT take caffeine after noon) and Lady Gaga blaring so loudly people with their windows closed were glancing at me. Now the antidote to this will have to be massive quantities of alcohol to counteract the caffeine. Is that a problem? Some people take Midol, I medicate with liquids!

No comments: