Monday, June 21, 2010

Gardening on the summer solstice

Had my first salad from the garden tonight! Yummy, yummy yum! I combined spinach, baby romaine, mesclun and beet greens together with sliced strawberries from my CSA. Then, I sprinkled on top of that the most amazing, incredible, sweet and delicious balsamic vinegar. It was heaven.

There is something so incredibly gratifying about eating from your own garden. First I went out to collect the bounty and it was so pretty out there that I stayed for a while. I checked out the status of the raspberry bushes, and popped an almost ripe one in my mouth. And actually giggled because I do so love raspberries. Then I checked out the asparagus, which is growing like mad, and noted that I lost a cantaloupe plant and one cucumber. It looks as though the cuke was trampled by someone. Or A DOG. I also had some leftover peas and decided what the heck, I would just plant them, so I did that a week or so ago and they are growing like mad. I love to experiment with things like that. Especially when people insist that it won't work! Yeah, I will show them.

When Charlie bit into a piece of beet green he announced that he was lucky that he didn't throw up all over the table. Seriously. I know, it is hard to compete with all the junk food he prefers, which is ever so yummy, but in my book a fresh green is worth singing about!

Tomorrow morning I am picking fresh kale for my green juice. I can't believe how big the kale got over the weekend. It is beautiful.

I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR. And today is the longest day of the year. Which is so right. All days should be long, and beautiful and full of green!

Happy Summer Solstice!

No comments: