Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kindle vs. Nook

This is the Kindle that I have. Note the buttons on either side. No matter what you do, place the book down, switch hands, whatever, you hit one of those buttons and lose your place. It is obnoxious.

Note on the latest generation the buttons are MUCH smaller, and there is plenty of room above to hold the book and put it down, etc. without advancing the pages. That is really ALL that bothers me with my Kindle -- and yet, when you hit that 20 times a reading session, it is quite aggravating. This one is also not as heavy.

In between baking the most magnificent espresso banana muffins, cleaning the kitchen, figuring out what recipe I am going to make for tomorrow night's book club and laying out the ingredients for two more things I am going to make today, I started Kindle housecleaning.

I have a lot of books on there. And it can certainly hold them. But the difference between a Kindle and a bookshelf is that when you see a book on a bookshelf, take it in your hand and look at the cover, you can instantly ascertain whether or not you have already read that book. On the Kindle, not so easy. Maybe there is some little trick I don't know about, but there are over 50 titles on there, and I am just not sure on ALL of them. The ones I have read recently, that is easy, but I download books when I hear about them, and then they sit on there waiting for me to discover them. This is becoming quite a little job!

I downloaded four new books today. I had an ongoing list and decided it was time to load up the Kindle for summer. But then I realized I already had a lot of books on there I am pretty sure I haven't read ... and so decided I better figure this out. The first thing I did was double check that Amazon has a library of all the books I have downloaded. Because at some point I might want to read them again. You never know! I just don't want to delete them and never see them again. When you are a book lover, such an idea is inconceivable! Not right!

I have another dilemma going on. I have really wanted the second generation Kindle since I received the one I have and the new and improved model came out months later. The things that drive me nuts about this one have not abated ... and I have debated from time to time to just get one ... and once I was really sure I wasn't going to replace it with an iPad, well, it seemed that the money I was saving more than compensated for the outrageousness of replacing a perfectly good tool.

But then I would talk myself into just appreciating what I have and stop bitching about stupid things that aren't really THAT big of a deal. It still works for its primary purpose, it's just being frivolous to upgrade.

Then Amazon lowered the price to $189 and I swear, it took all I had not to push the button! Then I thought, wait! Maybe if they are in a price war with Barnes and Noble's the Nook, maybe I should wait this out! So I took my finger off the button, took deep breaths, and stepped away from the computer.

But naturally that is all I can think about. The CHEAP (relative to the fact that I spent way too much for the one I don't even love!) Kindle ... it would make my life so much better and the world's crisis' would surely be solved. If only I had the new Kindle. If only ...

Then something was wrong with my Amazon account and it said that I didn't even have a Kindle registered, and I thought, well this is ridiculous, what is going on, and then WHAMMO, it hit me. I could register my new Kindle and my old Kindle on the same account, then I could SHARE the extra Kindle with family members who I want to read the books that I've downloaded that are so good! Great idea, right?

I don't know. The fact that I haven't pushed the button is meaningful, because you are talking to someone who has no fear of button pushing! I do not belabor over purchasing decisions -- it's pretty simple, if you want it, you need it, then get it. Move on. The problem with this is that I am crazy afraid that they will come out with a new one THE MOMENT I buy the latest model, and if this e-reader thing is actually going to heat up, maybe there will be even a new introduction to the market. Bright and shiny. I can't resist!

So I don't know. Maybe I should check out the Nook. It is smooth and sleek looking -- and I'd still have the Kindle in the event ... I don't know what event! What would YOU DO?!!!

The Nook buttons also don't take up the entire side of the device. I guess I'll check out the cost of that one as well.

One thing I noted from reading about the Nook is that it has color integrated into the whole deal on the screen. The Kindle is black and white and the images are quite elementary. (Like when you compare it to an iPad it is like an Etch-a-Sketch versus a classical painting, or, in other words, NO COMPARISON!) They also let you share with friends. Which is awesome.

To do ... what to do....

No comments: