Thursday, May 29, 2008

Raw birthday

Happy Birthday

So, three friends and I piled into the car and drove two hours to eat raw.

No, we were not in the raw, we wanted to consume raw food, and the closest restaurant that seemed to even know this concept existed was in another state and multiple highways away.

The place was tiny --  less than 10 tables and those in tight quarters.  The service was slow in one of those hope you have the entire day to eat here because that's how long it's going to take type scenarios.  But the food was really good!  We all had our favorites, and I was happy as a clam (a raw one of course) to experience my first baby coconut water beverage fresh out of the coconut.  It was delish.   We all split pad thai, tacos, a pizza and falafel.   I think we all loved the pad thai the most -- it was really the most flavorful -- but everything was good.  My main purpose for this was to see if it really did taste good.  And I was very pleasantly surprised.  And the desserts were yummy as well.  We all sampled apple pie, blueberry pie, brownie and a black forest cake.   No complaints there!

As of this evening I have had a completely raw day.  I started out with green lemonade (a refreshing concoction of juiced lettuce, dandelion greens, kale, apples, lemon and ginger) and brought an apple in the event I was hungry, but I was happy to wait until lunch.  And lunch was very satisfying and filling.  And despite eating quite a bit of food, I do not have that logey and tired feeling.  And as I sit here sipping another glass of yummy yummy green lemonade I feel quite virtuous!

But the tug of the old is still very strong.  Today is my birthday and I also want to go out for dinner and have a drink that while not as refreshing as coconut water will also bring a smile to my face :)  Mostly I just don't want to cook (or prepare) food.  And that's always the trap I fall into -- the overall laziness of eating the right foods.

Ahhhh, so it is hours later and we have gone to dinner -- I imbibed in cooked food and alcoholic wonders ... and ultimately I know that somewhere between all of this "stuff" I will find the perfect answer for myself.

Happy Birthday to me.  I am 45 today -- and I am totally okay with that.  I really am.  I see the future before me ripe with possibility (and rawness!) and while so many people freak out about getting older -- I've always been the person who never looks back, never yearns for any "good old days," because all of my days are good.

When I have been asked "what do you want for your birthday?" I am always thinking ... I dunno ... that is hard.  Everyday is a celebration to me.

It truly is.
I'm not kidding.

Tonight when I jokingly asked Peter "what did you get for me?" he proudly stood up and drew out a wrapped box from his pocket.

It was a beautiful pair of earrings -- my birthstone -- emeralds.  

Everyday might be a celebration.  But I'll admit.  It's nice to get the little box.

Cheers!


No comments: