Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Boston Legal and Beyond (you know, like the store!)


http://yourgossipgirls.blogspot.com/2008/04/thoughtful-issues-on-boston-legal.html

Boston Legal has to be the most ironic show on television. It's hilarious. They take everything that is ridiculous in this world and then apply the law (which is already ridiculous) to make it even more ridiculous than it is.


It's priceless!


And it seems that no one I know watches it. So here I sit, all alone, laughing out loud.

Denny Crane, (pictured at right in picture) a founding partner of the law firm who has long since lost his marbles is being sought by the Republican party as a candidate for the presidency (of the United States.) As his co-worker (James Spader, pictured at left) says to him, how can they be serious? During his interview they ask him how he feels about their greatest base ... the NRA. And he pulls out about six guns he has hidden all over his person and in his briefcase ... and they all look at each other with big smiles.

Denny says later, "Can't you see me on the terrace, a scotch, a cigar ... maybe even an intern?"

A woman seeking to be a priest is suing the Archdiocese of Boston for gender discrimination. "God beckoned me," the woman says to the judge as she starts her testimony.

And a call girl arrested for prostitution believes the law is archaic and needs to be changed. (Because it is arbitrary, unreasonable and therefore unconstitutional). I actually had no idea that prostitution was legal in so many countries! (Did I mention the lawyer arguing this case has Tourette's Syndrome?) Oh yes. The absurdity is heaped upon the absurd ... and yet, there is an underlying message in each crazy "case" steeped in facts that makes you think.

I love this show!

On another note, I am battling this stupid cold and it doesn't seem to be getting better -- but worse. And as I pondered how this could be, it occurred to me that instead of a gallbladder attack hitting me when I have so much to do, it is now this pain in the butt cold.

Before traveling the past few years, I was always attacked by the gall a few days before. This resulted in my not being able to prepare to leave without wondering hour by hour if I would be able to go at all. (This also was the reason I traveled through Europe last spring with the biggest suitcase in the world ... because I was a wreck before leaving and did not make sound decisions!)

I woke up this morning having a packing dream -- I'd arrived in Oklahoma (my next destination) and forgotten to pack anything. So here's the way it must be. I think that I am this easy-going, devil-may-care person who flits through life easily ... and I'm not! I internalize my whatevers ... fears, trepidations, etc. about something new coming up and it manifests itself as some ailment or other.

Before every interview I ever did -- over the span of quite a few years -- I was always a nervous wreck beforehand ... and had to plan extra time beforehand to fit in the inevitable bathroom breaks that were a result of a nervous stomach. It actually took me a long time to figure that out, and I guess it was really last summer, before I went on vacation for two weeks and was sitting in an emergency room with a gallbladder attack that I put it together that traveling was not good for my health!

It is a lot of travel all clumped together. I went to Chicago last week, I am leaving for Oklahoma on Sunday and then California the first of June. And on top of that I have a daughter graduating from college and moving away.

Now, I don't feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel like any of that stuff is a big deal. But I think because of that, I get sick.

So what should I do? Throw myself on my knees and sob because I have to travel so much? (But I like to travel!)

Should I beg my daughter not to grow up and move back home? (But I think it's wonderful what she is doing and I know she is going to have a great experience in a great city.)

So how do you keep your body from internalizing things and dealing with issues that must bother you when you don't know they are bothering you until you get sick?

There was NOTHING I could do before an interview ... even though I knew it would happen, even though I meditated to try to combat it ... the only cure was to actually begin the interview, then I would get into a groove and at the end I always left feeling great, pumped up and energized.

And I always enjoy myself traveling and am never sick while doing so -- I just don't get it.

Oh well. I'm off to drown my sorrows in cough medicine.  Which is also interesting.  I hate to take drugs (legal ones anyway) and I discovered that I have this pattern.  I do NOT take drugs for days, instead ingesting hideous juices, etc. but then I start to get worse, which is what you do when you are sick, feel sick, get worse, then get better ... but I don't buy the drugs until I am just about better.  How do I know this for sure?

I have a little stash of cold medications and I went to them.  Three boxes of various things, night-time remedies, daytime, cold, allergy relief ... and they were all expired.  In 2000, and 2004.  So that means I haven't been this sick in four years!  AND wasn't that sick prior to that for four years.  So I am just enduring my every-four-year cold!  I am such a researcher with such clear cut data!

So I guess I have to go out and buy the medicine so it can sit in my closet for four more years.  (All the boxes had one or two tablets taken out of them and that was it!)  Clearly that is my sacrifice to the Gods!


No comments: