Saturday, May 10, 2008

Is there a flaw with going raw?

I was roaming about cyberspace, going from one blog to another, when I found myself caught up in a circle of "raw vegans."  I have been intrigued by this concept before but then dismissed it as a little too over the top for me.

But I was led back to it and to the same family I'd been somewhat intrigued with a few years ago.  They have five children and they are all raw vegans -- meaning they've never eaten anything cooked -- ever.  (Now if this sounds appealing because there is no cooking involved, let me assure you that there might be no HEAT applied to food, but to eat a raw vegan diet means you are constantly preparing food.)

What I find interesting is that the food calls out to me.  Remember my raves about the beauty and color of real food?  I am drawn to it because I think deep down there is something about the diet that resonates within me.  And the lists of what they eat ... fruit smoothies, nut milks, avocados, coconuts, salads, veggies, crisp carrots ... I mean, YUMMY YUMMY YUM!

Now ... here's the thing.  I get all excited when I read about eating local, or eating foods that are organic and pesticide free.  But it's SO DAMN HARD to do that here.  And then you read blog after blog about people hitting the smoothie bars and the local farmer's markets (in California and Colorado for example) and I actually feel myself deflating.  For we have a farmer's market here -- it runs from June-Sept. and there is very little food there, it's mostly crafts, candles, whatever ... it's a N.H. version of a farmer's market.  We do have farm stands, but there is no guarantee that the food is organic.  In fact, it's probably not.

This family is now working on a concept that is somewhat like a commune -- based in Ojai, California.  The vision is instead of using up vital farmland for housing, the housing is constructed skyscraper-style, thereby freeing much more land for farming and recreation.  This is a new idea, the land has been chosen, but it's more of a dream right now, and I was thinking OH, I want to be a part of that!  I want to ride my bike as my means of transportation and grow my own food in a supportive environment (here, if the varmint's don't get it, then the weather will in the form of frost or drought!)  And best of all, they believe in technology so there would be high-speed internet.

Utopia?

Perhaps!

In the meantime I've joined a CSA  (community share association) which means I own a share of a crop from an organic farm, and I have to work two days in the fields as well.  I figure if the two days go well, then maybe we can look further into the future of gardening!  I am trying to be realistic ... I am trying to figure out the best way to eat 100 percent organic.  I actually crave fruits and veggies like I used to crave sweets -- and I'm not making that up.

All I wanted for lunch today was avocado, carrot, lettuce and tomato wrapped up in a kale leaf.  I actually CRAVED it, but only had carrot, lettuce and kale.  I felt the deflation begin, as I stared at the beautiful piece of kale but knew that I wouldn't be satisfied without all the ingredients.

So I pulled out my last frozen bag of homemade chicken soup and had that instead, and pondered what it would be like to never eat anything that was heated up, and while the soup was good, I wanted raw!

Yeah, yeah.  I know.  It's me.  And I am having a heck of a time keeping the wheat grass habit going -- it just doesn't taste good to me.  Today I tried mixing it in my juice -- but it polluted it.  A juice I normally swooned over tasted too, ummm, harsh.  And the kombucha ... it tastes sour and icky.   Each thing is supposed to be sooooooo good for you, but how much do you really need?  There is no manual on this -- if you want to look up wheat grass, then you will find enough reasons to take it daily, and same with the kombucha.  But I can't imagine one needs both, daily.

The fact that they don't taste phenomenal to me (and they both have in the past) seems to signify that at this time my body isn't interested in these substances.  But then what?  How long can I keep my kombucha mushroom alive?  Do I grow wheat grass this year?  I DON'T KNOW!

So the obvious choice is to go raw vegan?

Sure!  Why not!  All I need to do that is to invest in some super-duper blender, an amazing food processor and a food dehydrator.

But I love to cook!

Aren't you glad that you're not me?  Clearly I was put on this earth to drive myself crazy!

Varooooooooom!


2 comments:

Tomasen said...

This is one of many times I have had the notion of raw food come up within the span of a month. Kath, the woman that owns the Blue Moom has gone raw vegan with her husband. They spend HOURS and HOURS dehydrating food etc. Jim is SO into it it is over the top. Kath will allow herself to have fish sometimes and to actually even cook it!
I too love the idea of raw, but again, the overwhelmingness of it overwhelms me! Love the California idea as it allows each individual to contribute to the whole.
Even funnier is that she is doing a class on eating raw this week at the store and Chronicle is coming. She is looking for bodies to go so that she has a full house and so you can go for free!! yes FREE!! I was dying to go, but I can't because I have my last class in Windham. I could hook you up with Carey though as she is going.
I am not sure, but I think she is also considering offering a series of classes on raw eating.
You just live too far out in the sticks!!
I have been considering the share crop thing as well...I will be interested in how that goes for you!

Lisa said...

What day is the class? I used to have a food dehydrator but I sold it at a yard sale! But it's the only way to get "crunch" into food -- the only way to have crackers and dried fruit, otherwise everything is either in drink form or really raw.

I do so love my bread. I am not sure if I could survive without it! But the premise is that cooking destroys the living enzymes in food, so when you eat purely food that is "alive" that energy is then transferred on to you. In fact, some people who eat raw only require four or five hours of sleep because one of the purposes of sleep is for your body to detox -- but if you don't need to ...

I wouldn't mind longer days!