Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beach ramblings


I love to take pictures. Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to take advantage of the sweet sunset light and I took loads of pictures of these birds. I was patient. I was persistent. And I was able to get really close to these birds as they went about their frantic task of pecking at the sand feeding on whatever it is they eat as the tide goes out. I have taken my daily walk half a dozen times at this time and would think to myself, IF ONLY I HAD A CAMERA. What is so special is that their little white bellies shine in the last remnants of sunshine and the water reflects the pink hues. It is so special and beautiful and I am humbled to be able to witness it night after night. This picture is merely a taste of what I have captured.

In addition to birds at sunset, I have enjoyed being on the beach with Charlie. He is so diligent in his sand castle building -- he patiently builds them and slowly carves away the sand, grain by grain, to create bridges that span between his castle creations. I was especially impressed when I returned from my stalking of the birds to find him entertaining a three-year-old and her mom, who explained that he had been more than happy to share his sand toys with his daughter. As the mom and I engaged in conversation, the little girl slowly but deliberately began to dismantle his master piece. And he was good natured and laughing as she did so. I thought to myself, what a good kid. By the time the sun had set good and solid, the little girl and Charlie had managed to decimate the sand castle and he even let her help him stow away the sand toys in the bag. She was so proud of herself, and he complimented her on her helpfulness. What a guy.
Earlier in the day we had biked around and had climbed up the 114 stairs of a "light house," and I put this in quotes because it was there purely as a tourist trap. You pay $3 and you get to climb it. Fine. And you first get to a gift shop on top!
It screams tourist trap, but it also gives you a bit of a view. As someone who enjoys climbing mountains, it reminded me how long it has been since I have been up! This is low country, and while I love being here. I also miss a good view from the tippity top.

This was definitely a treat. It was also fun to have time to spend with Charlie much along the same lines of the quality time that I spent with Hallie earlier in the stay. They are both good natured and willing to hang with their mom, and it's something that we will always have.

This is an alligator, as you can surely see, but it was an alligator that was very close to me! This area is well-known for its alligator population, but it is still a bit of a surprise to find them so close to, well, to where you are! This guy was right on the bike path ... just a few feet from where we would have rolled right by, except that we saw him. And I seemed to think it was fine to take his picture. I told Charlie to keep a close eye on him, and if he seemed to make the slightest move other than the eye blink we kept seeing, to yell and I would hop on my bike and get the hell out of there. Doesn't he seem to be thinking "sure take my picture, I'll eat you later?" My brother kept insisting that he was fake. But he was not, I assure you. And besides, isn't it crocodiles you have to worry about? Yes, I am sure it is crocodiles. Alligators are harmless.



This is the damn sunset that gets me up every m0rning. I have no idea why -- especially considering it is 12:30 right now and I am wide awake, but no matter what time I go to sleep, I wake up right before the sun is ready to rise. Some mornings, like this one, I have to get up and take pictures. They are so fricking beautiful I can't stand it. This morning I walked the beach shortly after the sun rose and the light is incredible. Between the pelicans humming by and the piping plovers scurrying about, the gentle lapping of the waves and the occasional sand dollar peeping out of the moist sand, I feel as though I have gone to heaven.
And look at that sunrise.
Would you argue?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.