Thursday, August 21, 2008

Smile, your camera is broken again

I hate how everything is shoddily made and basically made to break.  I have no problem paying for something that will provide premium performance and last me longer than a year.   But apparently such a thing doesn't really exist.  

I love my Kodak Easyshare camera -- so much that even when it broke after about a year the first time, I bought another one.  There is no point in fixing these things because it costs more to fix them then it does to buy another one.  Kodak is not in the business of repairing.  Oh, but you know what you can do?  You can trade in your broken camera and they will give you FIFTEEN PERCENT off your new purchase.

Can you believe that?

I am just so disgusted right now -- because I LOVE this damn camera -- it does everything I need.  But can I buy another one?  I don't think so!  I don't know what to do, other than wallow in self-pity and disgust.

I have gone online searching for fixes -- the first camera the lens wouldn't close -- and one fix was to bang it.  It actually worked for a time, until of course all that banging caught up with it and then the pictures started coming out wonky.

I am not afraid to bang, let's just put it that way.  And it became my solution to any problem -- the end problem being that the camera stopped working altogether, which was actually helpful because then I just went out and bought another one to put us both out of misery.

But I can't buy another one.  I would become a shitty camera enabler!  It is fascinating that these cameras break within days of their warranty expiring.  Fascinating.  I have even been told to purchase the extended warranty option on iPod's because they are definitely going to break.  But then when you purchase that warranty, which we did, of course the one problem the iPod was experiencing wasn't covered.    Such a racket.

But I can't live without a camera!  I can not!  But what do I do?  Is it really just status quo that you have to spend a couple hundred bucks a year on a new camera?  Really?  What ticks me off even more is that I bought a new battery for $40 thinking that was the problem.  Do you think this battery will work in any other camera?  Of course not.  They are far too crafty for that.  I wish that they would spend more time perfecting their products than in trying to figure out how to hose the customer.

Wouldn't that be novel?  

I am just tired of all this constant replacing.  Someone stole my daughter's iPod right off our dock -- though I have told her 3.2 million times not to leave it laying around.  I also told her an additional million times NOT to use my headphones, which were expensive.  But since she broke hers, she kept stealing mine.  Those of course were taken in the heist.

Laptops, cameras, iPods -- they are just constantly in need of replacement.  It's disgusting.   Our cell phones, which we've had for two years and yahoo for us, we actually made it through our contract, are becoming quirky in their behavior.  Mine takes forever to have a call come through and it NEVER rings.  Ever!  It just beeps to tell me someone has called.   Whatever.  Just a bunch of junk we use to junk up our lives.  That's really the bottom line!  

I have NO desire to purchase another camera.  Maybe I need to learn how to live without all these things that are built to break so that I will purchase another one and keep a shitty company in business!  I don't want to be a part of the diabolical plan!

Are there any camera companies out there that pride themselves in building products to last?  

Anyone?


No comments: