Saturday, January 23, 2010

Revolution to Solution

At a dinner party in my very own house, I was seated next to someone that cracks me up. That is funny, engaging, kind and someone I would call a friend.

Then our conversation swayed into politics when the topic of Sarah Palin came up. I had been working on digging deep well before this night to find a shred of good will towards Sarah. I mean, she is a woman and any woman who manages to be successful in both a career and raising a family is worthy of anyone's respect. But, in truth, I find her a bit hypocritical. She believes in no sex before marriage, and yet she has a teenage daughter with a baby. The ex-boyfriend of said daughter then hit the B-circuit talk shows and said that Sarah didn't care whether or not he was in the bedroom, with the door closed. Well, I guess we know what happens, huh? I guess it's kind of cold in Alaska to go out and do it in the back of a car, like teenagers who have parents who don't allow opposite sex hang-outs in the same bedroom. Obviously you can't control teenagers behavior, no matter how vigilant you are -- but if Bristol's mother believed in abortion perhaps she could have made a CHOICE that wouldn't have left her a mother when she should be out dating.

That is catty. I have no idea whether or not such information is true -- an ex-boyfriend who is out to make money off of the fame of his almost mother-in-law is not exactly a prize source of information. True or otherwise. It all just makes me squirm. Whenever she talks, she says nothing. She is a true politician in that regard ... and yet, when Obama talks, he uses words that seem to string together to make full sentences that actually answer questions. But my opinions are liberal and therefore stupid and inconsequential if you are on the other side (like Russia from Alaska!) and really, these belief systems that become the foundations of our opinions are at fault.

Anyway, back to the dinner party. Suddenly, he was speaking to another person across the table, and they were lauding Sarah Palin. Did I hear that right? Were they being ironic? No ... suddenly, they were both going on about how much EXPERIENCE Sarah has over Obama. Good Lord. Not that old chestnut again. I was suddenly sitting there feeling quite adrift. I started to judge these two people differently -- they were REPUBLICANS! I did not know. I suppose if I had thought about it, I would have been able to guess, but suddenly he wasn't all that funny any more. And then when they started talking about the country going to pot because of the current administration ... I had to paste a fake semi-smile on my face and nod like a moron who doesn't know what is going on. Because there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to have that conversation with a Republican! Ummm, especially not the ones who believe that we'd be better off with Sarah Palin running amok in the White House.

Which then got me to thinking later what a ridiculous system we have. I guess they call it democracy, but pitting two "parties" against each other doesn't make one big happy party, believe me. By creating such a division from the onset, it would only seem that the distrust and unrest of the party not in office would create havoc with anything positive going on in the other camp. What I mean is, shouldn't we all just want the same thing? I mean, I get the tenets of the two parties -- but quite frankly, if you're a small business owner then you are getting hosed no matter who is in office and if you are a corporate mucky muck or rich as sin and pissed that you have to pay taxes on your gold-plated golf cart, you are pissed. No one is ever happy with having to spend money they would rather keep in any administration. Big business, small business, does it matter the size, what everyone wants is to make a profit and create jobs and live happily ever after. Or so it should be. And I think it is always about money (taxes) and the rest of it is just white noise.

So, in my new PollyAnna world, we should just vote for the best person for the office. And not based on how many affairs he or she has had or how many interns they've taken into the back office. I don't care, stress relief comes in all forms and I'd rather have my potential candidate shooting off sperm than drinking a bottle of whiskey before making pertinent decisions that affect the entire world. What that means is the media would have to actually report what this candidate did that HELPED make the world a better place. Not what he did to his wife and family. That is his or her business. And if they are stupid, then hell, I want to know that! I don't want someone dragged onto the platform because they are going to get votes because they are pro-life. NO NO NO! And once something like that passes and becomes a law then it should just stay. No, lawyers, I don't care what your opinion is on the subject. Blah blah blah blah blah. Half the people are for it, half are against. The way I see it, if you don't want an abortion then YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

End of story. Moving on.

Health care. Shit. We can't have the government running this. It needs to remain private and it needs to be run competitively and it needs to be run without insurance companies. Imagine finding a doctor that you really like and paying that person for their services. Services that were based on their experience, the amount of time they spent on that service and a sliding scale fee based on income. Yes, I am saying that those that can afford more should pay for those that can't. It's how it works anyways, but everyone just gets pissed off about it. How about if you were made to feel GOOD for paying for someone who couldn't afford the same costs that you could? How about if it was big one karmic enterprise -- and remember, there is always someone above you and below you paying more and paying less. Everyone would be connected in the sharing of health -- which is the cornerstone to happiness.

Anyway, after being at a party where suddenly it became quite clear that the two-party system of democracy sucked because it made you look at people you like differently, I just decided that it's time to do away with it. So how does one start a revolution without guns?

A Revolution to World Solution without war. People coming up with great ideas and instead of having them subverted by corporate greed; they were brought to the market for all the world to enjoy. For every person living in a mansion, there are tens of thousands who are not. And that person living in that mansion knows deep in their heart that they would feel better if they had every single room filled with conversation and laughter. How else can you get inside someone's home and heart if they believe they are better than you are? But they know they are not. And if it was the norm not to have class status -- if everyone lived a perfectly wonderful life, there would be more than enough to go around. More than enough money, certainly, and really all that we need.

For me, 2010 is not about discussing what is wrong with the world. It is about coming up with solutions and believing that one person can change the world -- even if it is just her own.

I begin my own revolution to solution. And I do not stand with a crossbow aimed at the heart of Sarah Palin or any other person! I stand with an open heart and I send out a pink bubble of love to all.

You say you want a revolution .... well here you go!

1 comment:

Tomasen said...

OMG...just WHO were these republicans??