Friday, December 11, 2009

Panic fades into oblivion

So today appears to be the day I panic and feel as though I don't have "enough" for everyone for Christmas. I do, however, feel as though I have been spending, spending, spending. Though on what, I am not sure! There are not piles of presents to be opened ...

Photobucket

So that was yesterday morning. And then I was sidetracked by the cookie cutter post and let this one head into the drafts folder. And now I will explain how much things can change in a day!

I felt as though despite the fact I'd been shopping a number of times and had packages arriving on a near daily basis, it wasn't enough. Why is this?

Then Peter called and said he was going to a (certain) store and I thought, that is odd, because I had the same store up online and had two items in my shopping cart, but had hesitated to push the button because I wondered if I could find these items somewhat cheaper at the actual store. So when he said he was going, I told him to look for those items and let me know. He called and said he had found them, and had also found the thermometer thing I was looking for for my father, should he get it? Well hell yeah! When he arrived home he had the exact same items that I had in the shopping cart in his bag (I had never described them to him) and he said it wasn't much of a choice, they were the only two there so he got them. And they were almost half the price of what I was going to pay. FOR THE SAME EXACT THING! So that is why I didn't push the button -- I KNEW!

In the meanwhile I had wrapped another present for both kids (after I realized I had them) and then after I wrapped what Peter had bought, I felt as though they were now on the other side of too little! And the best part of it all was that I just let it all sit and didn't freak out or rush to the mall or whatever. So now, with the exception of a few items (stocking stuffers, that damn stocking is so hard to fill when you don't want to put a ton of candy in it) I am done and feel good about everything! Phew! Such a far cry from how I felt yesterday morning, when it seemed that for all of my efforts I hadn't achieved anywhere near what I wanted to.

The other really nice thing was having Peter do some of the shopping and the moment it arrived I wrapped it up and it was DONE! Very cool. He of course did the same exact thing I do when I leave the house -- purchased a number of items for himself! I had to laugh. I said that it was good for him to realize that I didn't have an actual shopping problem, I just had a problem of being in a store and finding something perfect and not taking it home with me! But since he obviously had the same experience, it is so very clearly NOT JUST ME!

Now as long as I don't find him making cookies it's all good! Last night we sat by the fire and sipped champagne and toasted to another successful year while the kids were at a hockey game. We called it our mini-staycation!

Cheers!


No comments: