Sunday, December 13, 2009

Amazing Dance


There is something so magical about watching people use their bodies to create this type of motion called dance. I am mesmerized by it -- and there is a new level of dancing that I believe began with Michael Jackson and the moonwalk -- which has been taken so far beyond that. The way they throw themselves into the air, or pump themselves up on on hand or create that robotic motion -- it's just beautiful.

And I love to see young people taking their bodies to this level. It takes such passion and determination and it's amazing to watch. I have been very much drawn to this feeling as of late. I love to dance and when I really get going I will turn the music up super loud and I will leap and pirouette about the house as though I actually AM a good dancer. I will pretend I am a ballerina and I will spin and demi plea-A and I will bow to the audience and of course, I am amazing.

It is such an incredible feeling -- even with only an audience of dogs who don't understand why I keep bumping into them. Dancing and singing create joy -- they really do. Sometimes I will forget to crank on the old iPod and belt out songs at the top of my lungs until I am spent. And only after I have done so do I chide myself for waiting so long to do something that makes me feel so good. It's a great stress reliever. Nothing like heading up to Charlie's room and turning on the karaoke player and pretending I am the bomb. I close my eyes and become one with the microphone in my hand. The world is my stage.

Today I was driving in a blizzard (number two of the season, we're really kicking it off!) and I had Taylor Swift going at a high decibel. Peter kept looking at me, and I realized it was because normally I sing more or less under my breath when he is in the car, but I was driving and trying to keep my mind off slippery roads, so I launched into the best diversion I could! At one point I said, "you can always drive," but he chose to pretend I wasn't bothering him instead. Whatever works!


1 comment:

It Rhymes With Witch said...

I do the 'loud as you can' singing too, mostly in the car. It is, indeed, therapeutic.