Thursday, August 20, 2009

73 pounds and counting!



At least I think we're still counting. Oh, I'm talking about blueberries. Today all of us went down to the blueberry patch and filled up the five-gallon bucket in an hour. Maddie and I can't figure out how the first time we went we filled it up in an hour-and-a-half, just the two of us, and we only saved a half an hour with four? I know that I am personally picking slower, and I am much pickier, making sure that all of the stems are off and that there is nothing green or bruised in the bucket. (Why? Because otherwise I have to do that at home.)

There are still SO many berries on the bushes -- and the woman said that they would be picking daily for the next three weeks, then weekends after that. Maddie thinks we should go for 100 pounds. I don't know. Since we got no strawberries in, perhaps it's not so ridiculous. As the woman said, pick while the picking is good. Such meaning to a cliche!

So now I am off to freeze them and perhaps make some blueberry muffins. It seems quite sinful not to after picking all these berries!


No comments: