Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SOS -- Save our Summer

This is like the summer that can't get jump-started. It's July 15th (I think!) and we are at the lake. It was a gorgeous day, but more fall like than hot like. By sunset I was wearing a sweatshirt. The sunset itself was fabulous. One of those stare at and pinch yourself because wow, anything in the universe that luscious can not be real.

Except it is. And so is this weirdo summer. I hate that we missed those long summer nights that began on June 21st -- because it rained every night for weeks and it was dark all day long. I hate that we haven't had any hot, sweaty, groaning because you can't stop sweating nights. Not because they are enjoyable, but because they are a part of summer.

I hate that August, which is always cold in New Hampshire, is only weeks away.

It makes me tense. It makes me anxious.

When the snow stopped falling and the ski areas were in jeopardy, they were saved by snowmaking machines.

We need summermaking machines.

STAT.


No comments: