Monday, April 9, 2012

More on the moneymakers

I received an email from a shaman who I had met with several years ago in which he talked about ho'oponopono -- which is a somewhat confusing method to find yourself and heal the world.  Why confusing?  Because there seems to be a bit of controversy surrounding its roots and its "masters."

The email led me to a book called
 Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
 and my entire being screamed DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK.  Why?  Because I did a little quick research on the author, and he is basically the epitomy of the salesperson I was talking about earlier -- who just keeps writing the same book over and over with new titles all in the name of making money (for himself, of course).

The person who sent me the email is someone I would respect ... with the exception that he clearly wants to be one of these people -- with a successful online business selling his services.  I could see him begin to implement his strategy right from the beginning, and I was immediately put on guard.  I just have a hard time seeing spirituality and the pursuit of money as going hand-in-hand.  And yet, this is a huge money pit in that there are so many people out there looking for answers to their myriad of questions.

The author of ZeroLimits is almost nauseating in this book, as the master of the process is constantly talking about how awesome he is.  And then he talks about his car, and well, you truly begin to wonder how "deep" this guy is.  The book is sprinkled liberally with websites to visit to purchase all manner of wares, including t-shirts and the like.  In addition, the testimonials (which are on both the website and in the book) lead you to their websites -- and you realize most of them are in on this same deal ... buy my stuff, my programs, my wealth of knowledge on attracting success.

And ... you don't really learn the process itself because it is SECRET!!!!  The only way to TRULY learn is to purchase the $200 DVDs, of which of course there are many.   I mean, kudos to Joe Vitale (not sure where the doctor part comes in, he certainly doesn't mention that in this particular book) for making money spinning a philosophy that to the best of my knowledge could be imparted on a post-it note into a full-fledged book.  I mean, he repeats himself (we do keep hearing about that amazing car he loves and which has its own name, Francine, given by its creators) and every book should have page upon page of testimonials in really large print to take up extra room.

Am I being attracted to this right now because I should take advantage of the millions of people who want positive change in their life and I can certainly dream up some such amazing intelligence that only I have, some secret way to do some ordinary thing, that will cost way more than $19.99 and not even come with a ginzu knife!  I do find it intriguing that I guess I was looking for proof of this, and then whammo, boy did I get it.  And in spades.  
 
Curiosity got to me and I went to see what he is a doctor of.  He is a doctor of metaphysics -- a spiritual healer.  I personally think he is a money doctor, because when you type in his name you get countless websites -- he doesn't leave it up to one -- he will sell anything, good old Doctor Joe.  Yeah, I'm not impressed.  I also see on this particular book jacket above, it says you get a SNEAK PREVIEW of ho'oponopono.com.  Whip dee doo!  I guess it didn't work, huh?  I read the book and I don't seem any wealthier, healthier or at peace AT ALL!  I am all riled up!  I mostly just feel duped.

And that happened because someone I respected (but questioned) recommended this to me.  I should have gone with my gut.  But that is who buys this stuff, fairly intelligent people with the ability to pay for the things we already know.  We just don't trust ourselves.

I could never make money off of that.  Alissa.

No comments: